Hold the Phone: RIM Tablet to Run Android Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It's certainly a good idea- I'd be partial to buying a BlackBerry anything if it ran Android applications (had full access to the Android marketplace).

Best of both worlds- the versatility of Android with the stability of the BlackBerry OS.

G

Seems to me that this would appeal to the pragmatists that want a broad selection of apps on a very well-equipped device, and to the open source advocates trying to push for dev-friendly flexible options to push future innovations to consumers.

jbug187

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
This is a headline click grab. Why would Big G open the Android app store to RIM? Could you imagine Apple opening up its app store to other devices? The app stores are a major part of what gives each platform its competitive advantage. Why would anyone share that with the competition?

G

I did not know android apps are not written natively but instead rely on a layer/framework for abstraction. I kept wondering why on earth are people drooling over dual/quad core 1ghz+ ARM processors with 1GB+ ram, and why each iteration of android demands a huge increase in hardware specs.

Android is so bloated that windows for arm will be seen as a relief.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]jbug187[/nom]This is a headline click grab. Why would Big G open the Android app store to RIM? Could you imagine Apple opening up its app store to other devices? The app stores are a major part of what gives each platform its competitive advantage. Why would anyone share that with the competition?[/citation]

I also don't see why google would even care. Apple yes because they are a bunch of close platform.... anyways. Google "wants to give the world everything for free!" and it also doesn't matter if google lets them access their app store or not anyone would be able to put it on with a small recode anyways. But no to answer the question i could care less if it had android apps on it. Only two "apps" android had that i even cared about was skymap and google navigator. The rest meh gimmick and garbage.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
sorry for the double post. The only thing that makes me want to get this pad actually is the tethering it gets with bb phones and being able to use the Internet through your already paid data plans.. otherwise tablets are useless to me as i don't want to pay for Internet yet a 3rd time. I also don't want to be tied down to crappy wifi connections.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jbug187[/nom]This is a headline click grab. Why would Big G open the Android app store to RIM? Could you imagine Apple opening up its app store to other devices? The app stores are a major part of what gives each platform its competitive advantage. Why would anyone share that with the competition?[/citation]

Google partnering their app base with RIM can only be good. It means developers will have a greater incentive to develop their apps for Android as they will also automatically hit the RIM user base too. Also considering the 'business' vibe of the Blackberry's user base, these individuals may be more willing to pay for premium rate apps rather than have adverts on open-source ones like many Android users currently do (i'm not criticising, it's simply what happens on Android currently).

I certainly hope RIM and Google partner on this instead of keeping each other at arms length with this venture. It will definitely have benefits for both platforms.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]toalan[/nom]I did not know android apps are not written natively but instead rely on a layer/framework for abstraction. I kept wondering why on earth are people drooling over dual/quad core 1ghz+ ARM processors with 1GB+ ram, and why each iteration of android demands a huge increase in hardware specs. Android is so bloated that windows for arm will be seen as a relief.[/citation]

The Android development team are working on a framework for writing in native code which will lead to performance increases, but you're right, there are about four layers including the VM that the code has to go through.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

Google is more likely to share access to the market place becauise it would mean more revenue for them, and Android is free open source operating system anyways. Apple is a closed market in every way.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
This is nice for me. I chose a BB over an Android because I consider software from Google to basically be spyware and I can't see doing work email on a Google OS and BB is at least apparently secure, but I knew that I wouldn't get the richer app ecosystem. So, maybe I'll get a little bit of both worlds at some point in the future.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The thing people have to remember here is that Android Apps are a misnomer.
They are really Java VM Apps.
For Google to claim sole ownership and rights to be able to run these apps is as ridiculous as having a media player claiming sole rights to playback MP3's.

Anyway, it wouldn't do Google well to fight this one because if Blackberry use an open-source VM they will just look bitter, also having the extra App sales always looks good on the balance sheet.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]This is nice for me. I chose a BB over an Android because I consider software from Google to basically be spyware and I can't see doing work email on a Google OS and BB is at least apparently secure, but I knew that I wouldn't get the richer app ecosystem. So, maybe I'll get a little bit of both worlds at some point in the future.[/citation]

True, its probably is spyware, google has been in bed with the NSA for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.