Hollywood Hiring Cyber Hitmen To Combat Piracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Cyber Hitmen" attacking Torrent sites because of Copyright material...

Now that is so laughable that it's pathetic!

Most Copyright material goes up on UseNET before any torrent sites even get to see the material. The quickest way to put a stop to the majority of pirating would be to shut down all of UseNET permanently.

But then again, good luck trying to even do such a thing as there are literally thousands of NNTP servers out there and if they ever did try to shut UseNET down, more NNTP servers would pop up faster than they could shut them down.

The biggest offenders are the Premium News (NNTP) Servers with High Retention rates, some being as high as a year or so.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Have they not realised you can download a torrent without the place you downloaded it being online?! Are they really that dense? The whole point of a torrent is that its not downloaded from one location like a standard HTTP or FTP file transfer.
Might help their cause if they understood there so called enemy

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]And if you read the part of your posting that I included, you would understand why I took exception."why not start by dishing out a little vigilante justice?"Vigilante justice is comprised of actions taken outside the law.[/citation]

Ok, the wording I used was contradictory, sorry, but my intention is still sound. Someone needs to do somthing to solve this problem.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]Have they not realised you can download a torrent without the place you downloaded it being online?! Are they really that dense? The whole point of a torrent is that its not downloaded from one location like a standard HTTP or FTP file transfer.Might help their cause if they understood there so called enemy[/citation]
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]Have they not realised you can download a torrent without the place you downloaded it being online?! Are they really that dense? The whole point of a torrent is that its not downloaded from one location like a standard HTTP or FTP file transfer.Might help their cause if they understood there so called enemy[/citation]
But you need that place in order to initially get the torrent.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]I still don't understand why the torrent search sites don't remove the more sought after protected files from their search list. BT Junkie for example always lists the top torrents right there on the front page and every single torrent is of popular current movies and TV shows which is exactly what the copyright holders are trying to stop. There are plenty of material on these search engines that are copyright violations but the companies are not pursuing the violations.If you download any newly released music expect a notice from your ISP...trust me I know...and it only took 2 hours for my warning to arrive.[/citation]
you need a new ISP or move to Canada... i download everything i can.

This whole article is laughable, Hollywood Vs. the Geeks, GLOBAL! good luck hollywood with your 1000 computer guys. This is like me against the US Army... i have a chance. (.000000000000000000001%)

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Awesome....cyber wars. About time the victims stood up for their rights and took matters in to their own hands. Go Hollywood......take down the pirates!!!!!!!!!!

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]But you need that place in order to initially get the torrent.[/citation]

Ofcourse you do. But there are a multitude of torrenting websites and ways to get hold of them, and alot of trackers mirror eachother to provide more seeds and all kinds of trickery.
Taking down a torrent website to stop piracy is a bit like closing a church to stop religion.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

That is true for a public (non tracker-based) site. However for a private site (I won't name any...) with a dedicated tracker, it would essentially shut down the service if the tracker was not running. But for the most part it will be unsuccessful. They are waging a war against many of the smartest cyber users, who can definitely handle this little annoyance. A site like TPB can handle DDOS attacks....as they do happen quite often....

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I just can't stay away from this article, I keep getting tingly in my finger. :: Are they just that stupid and ignorant not to realize the gravity of they are saying, lol??? Did they forget that even they steal shit from the internet for creativity. Take a little, give a little and the world will keep on spining.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]But you need that place in order to initially get the torrent.[/citation]
Yep, and how are people going to find that torrent without these sites? And more important are the sites that host the actual trackers. Sure the file tranfers are done P2P, but the list of users downloading/seeding a file at any given time are stored on a server too.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I just rent Netflix movies and make a 1:1 copy. Try and stop that greedy Aholes. I use torrents also for HD releases....good luck there will always be new ways to work around whatever tactics the MPAA Aholes use.

andyp363

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
lol calling all torrent sites and newsgroups DDoS their servers they cant have more bandwidth/server power than us combined

mdc837837

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
bad idea hollywood. you will only anger the guys with the real talent by using illegal tactics to shut down their file sharing systems. then a counter-attack is bound to happen. How do you argue in court that it isn't ok for someone to DDoS you after it is made known that you DoS'd them first? Good luck with that

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I just rent Netflix movies and make a 1:1 copy. Try and stop that greedy Aholes. I use torrents also for HD releases....good luck there will always be new ways to work around whatever tactics the MPAA Aholes use.

G

I'm willing to bet a bunch of indias servers went up in smoke already. ;)

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]Awesome....cyber wars. About time the victims stood up for their rights and took matters in to their own hands. Go Hollywood......take down the pirates!!!!!!!!!![/citation]
Hollywood is going to epic fail!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]I just rent Netflix movies and make a 1:1 copy. Try and stop that greedy Aholes. I use torrents also for HD releases....good luck there will always be new ways to work around whatever tactics the MPAA Aholes use.[/citation]
Torrents won't protect you from being caught...public or private[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]That is true for a public (non tracker-based) site. However for a private site (I won't name any...) with a dedicated tracker, it would essentially shut down the service if the tracker was not running. But for the most part it will be unsuccessful. They are waging a war against many of the smartest cyber users, who can definitely handle this little annoyance. A site like TPB can handle DDOS attacks....as they do happen quite often....[/citation]
...you're right...happens all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS