Hollywood Pushing For SOPA Sequel in 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Yesterday, I have pirated that movie Battleship! Yes, I have stolen it. After I have watched it (such a painful experience but I have had to see it to the end) I feel like suing Hollywood for destroying human intelligence. They have done it now! Years after years stupid blockbusters but now they are committing a crime against humanity. I feel like running amok and shooting producers, directors, stars and all that kind of white trash that lurks there.

And they are complaining about piracy! This is not even worth pirating! That would be like Blackbeard capturing a Spanish ship transporting manure. No is not a poor comparison because manure is actually worth something.

FU Hollywood!

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!
Yar - har - fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is all right to be!
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]I know im going to be down ranked because of saying this (which is sad) - but as a content creator who works in the industry, I understand why Hollywood supports SOPA - because I wouldn't want my company's creative content (films), or mine, stolen on the internet. So I guess I support SOPA.[/citation]
You do know that is a facade for their true intention? Also note, there is a huge difference between sharing and stealing. In digital distribution, there is no such thing as theft because there is no such thing as copy protection; copying is a byproduct of normal computer operation. To create uncopiable digital content is like creating water that isn't wet. You don't want people to "steal" your content, don't distribute it digitally. When people like something, they share it. That doesn't mean you will loose support, in many cases, it's free advertising and will increase revenue in the long run. Focus on the quality of content and people will want to buy and support it. Prime example, the unsigned Amanda Palmer and The Grand Theft Orchestra band. Her over-whelming success with kickstarter (fans have pledged more than $800,000; which is more than 8x her goal) proves a concept; Content publishers are Unnecessary middle-men that are becoming less and less relevant as content distribution becomes cheaper and more effective.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
So another words, we are going to rewrite SOPA so that it uses language that is more pleasing to the masses so that we can play them like fools by using words that sound like it is a benefit to them. They won't need to convince everyone, just the majority and since the majority are still not understanding of just how this will impact them it can succeed. Beware people, educate those who do not know. Do not be elitist and look down on them cause they just do not understand, but help them to understand. Show the masses what can/will happen and the impact it will have in their daily lives should they be fooled by the likes of SOPA.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
It seems pretty simple to me. To end the vast majority of piracy they just need to make costs more reasonable. $0.99 streaming of old backlog movies. $3.99 new releases. $1.99 releases 6 months to 2 years old. TV episodes need to be $0.99 each or $10 for the season. Current streaming prices are outrageous. I wouldn't mind a little advertising support as well. The way Hulu plus does it is absolutely fine with me.

houghe9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
we have been here before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_piano

"While the player piano matured in America, a young inventor in Germany, Edwin Welte, was working on a player which controlled all the aspects of the performance automatically, so that his machine would play back a recorded performance exactly as if the original pianist was sitting at the piano keyboard. This device, the Welte-Mignon, was launched in 1904. It created new marketing opportunities, as manufacturers could now get the foremost pianists and composers of the day to record their performances on a piano roll, allowing owners of player pianos to experience such a performance in their own homes on their own instruments, exactly as the original pianist had played it."

http://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/dvr-new-player-piano

"Music reproduction machines (such as the player piano) expanded the music market by giving non-musicians a reason to purchase music. That shift paved the way for a recorded music industry. That recorded music industry did not die with FM radio. Instead, FM radio turned into a great way to let people know about new music available to buy. The mix tape had a similar effect. People discovered new music nestled in among old favorites as user-created tapes circulated from friend to friend. In my mind, the MPAA’s opposition to the VCR is the greatest of them all. The entire purpose of the MPAA’s misguided Selectable Output Control petition, as well as every other anti-piracy initiative, is to try and protect the DVD sales that have become the lifeblood of the movie industry."

It looks like it may be time to add TV executives to the poster. In 2002, then CEO of Turner Broadcasting System Jamie Kellner famously equated using a DVR to skip ads with “theft.” This was part of a wave of DVRs will kill TV hysteria.

The fear was that DVRs would damage the current TV distribution model that is based on the assumption that people sit and watch all of the commercials. With no one watching commercials, advertisers would not pay for advertising time and the entire system would self-destruct. While felony interference with a business model is not a reason to outlaw a disruptive technology, the fear did at least have some sort of internally consistent logic.

The problem now is that the assumption underlying the fear – namely that people with DVRs will skip all of the commercials – appears to be overblown. It has been clear for some time that not everyone with a DVR skips commercials. Just as it turned out that just about everyone was too lazy to actually stand up and change a channel before the creation of the remote control, a number of people are just too lazy to lift up the remote to fast forward though commercials. Or they are only half - watching the show while they do something else. Or they are cooking dinner and don’t have a hand to reach for the remote. Or they fell asleep.

Now it turns out that DVRs are actually helping to increase viewership of shows. When people can watch shows on their own schedule they watch more shows. Watching more shows means watching more ads (whatever percentage of ads are actually viewed), which means more money. DVRs actually help companies that make money when people watch their shows. Imagine that – when devices allow consumers to access content the way they want, everyone finds a way to make more money and expand the market (see, for example, iPods, Walkmen, VCRs, FM Radio, Books).

It has also saved shows from cancellation. Head researchers for television networks are starting to call DVRs a “frenemy” of network television, or even going so far as to admit “the DVR is a good thing for network television.” The next time you hear a TV executive talk about the future it may be to praise TiVo, not to bury it.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]Yesterday, I have pirated that movie Battleship! Yes, I have stolen it. After I have watched it (such a painful experience but I have had to see it to the end) I feel like suing Hollywood for destroying human intelligence. They have done it now! Years after years stupid blockbusters but now they are committing a crime against humanity. I feel like running amok and shooting producers, directors, stars and all that kind of white trash that lurks there.And they are complaining about piracy! This is not even worth pirating! That would be like Blackbeard capturing a Spanish ship transporting manure. No is not a poor comparison because manure is actually worth something.FU Hollywood![/citation]

only one thing to say or do.

LOL. LOL...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think everyone saw this coming. Its only a matter of time before more anti-piracy legislation is passed. The slow removal of our freedoms continues.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i'm really sick of the movie indsutry they try to shut down indie films by controlling the rating's board to be heavier handed on indie films , they try to control consumers with pricing things6rediculously .seriusly , digital copies of HD content cost as much as blu ray disc packs , while digital copies of SD material costa 4th what physical SD (dvd) cost. on top of that , movie rentals on pay-per-view are like 3.99 for Sd , and 6.99 for HD (where i live). sd it's liek they are trying to reem us for every penny they can.

as fior the indie films indsutry GEEZUS , look at some of the big hit hollywood movie ratings comapred to some indie movie's ratings . Dawn of the dead (2004) was rated as R , that same year some one did an indy zombie movie that had the EXACT same content minus the sex scene that occrued in the dawn of the dead remake , it got rated NC-17 for violence (the equivilant of an X rating on the old sytem). hollywood does a big hit movie about two lesbians , the movie will get an R at most, indie films involving this topic will get slapped with NC-17. It's not a conspiracy theory ITS A FACT !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS