Home Network Server

fwildauer

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
I am looking to build ( or buy a used server) for the purpose of providing security, antivirus, antimalware and network storage. I have several questions on how to accomplish this primarily about the software needed.
I want to run a RAID array using SSD drives, but have read that they are limited to the amount of writes they can handle. If SSDs are not the way to go, what would be the best solution, and would you use a software or hardware RAID?
In addition the storage will be used for some large long term video storage. In our house, 95% of the devices we are using are Apple products. Any suggestions for the configuration of this device would be helpful. Thank you.

Thanks for the Replay "kanewolf".
I would like to be able to keep the storage on a server (or NAS - Which ever is best) only available to the network clients. If this means a firewall so be it. Verizon Fios 150/150 is "suppose" to be our internet speed utilizing gigabit network devices on everything other than printers. The reason for the SSD drives was to increase speed and reduce MTBF, as I no longer see any reasonable means of backing up large storage devices.

Solution
What capabilities are you trying to implement? Security is a very broad term. Do you intend this device to be a network firewall? Antivirus/antimalware generally has to be executed on each host. Network storage is pretty straightforward to implement. SSDs will not be beneficial for network storage because performance is limited by the network.

kanewolf

Judicious
What capabilities are you trying to implement? Security is a very broad term. Do you intend this device to be a network firewall? Antivirus/antimalware generally has to be executed on each host. Network storage is pretty straightforward to implement. SSDs will not be beneficial for network storage because performance is limited by the network.

Solution