Home Security Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

onewayrun

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area. Found a couple other camera questions in here.

My wife has tasked me with finding a camera system for the house, for 2 reasons.

1, She wants to be able to check on our puppy who we leave in the backyard for the day while we're both gone. Small puppies, we've just started leaving them out, this is for peace of mind. She'd also like the speaker to be able to give commands if possible- dog is digging in the wrong area and she could tell her no, that sort of thing.

2. Home security. I'd like to have at least 2-3 cameras around the house, 1 front, 1 back, maybe one other for field of view or something, not sure.

My biggest problem so far is I'm absolutely not looking for a subscription or monitoring service or cloud storage. I also refuse to get a camera like Samsung where I've read you sign a TOS which states they can use your video/images. No way. I want video for me, not sharing it, especially publicly.

So, overall I'm looking for something along these lines:
Mount Outside
Wireless (Can run pwr, not sure I can run network myself)
Remote access
Decent to good quality video (720p and higher, not sure what I want for FPS)
Home storage of video
Speaker

Does that even exist? Everything I found so far fails multiple criteria. The Samsung cameras looked decent, but there's no way I'm signing over video of my own home/property.

I'm hoping to do more research but am finding a lot of terrible/biased/paid for reviews and nothing of substance.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I have a 4 camera system. Lorex, bought 5+ (?) years ago.
4 cameras, plus the DVR. Absolutely no 'subscription' needed. All self contained.

1. Why wireless? If you have to run power to it, it's not wireless. Plus, WiFi only increases the attack surface for the system.
2. Storage. Then this needs to write to a drive somewhere. Much better to have a dedicated little box to do this, rather that trying to write to one of your main PC's.

So, with my thing...all I had to do was add an LCD monitor. A cheap used one is fine. The very small DVR box with the OS and drive in it hangs on the back of the monitor.
It can also be accessed over the internet if you choose.

Motion detection. It sees motion on one camera, and brings that up full screen. There isn't the tech yet available to see the difference between the dog stopping to pee, and the dog stopping to dig...:) Unless you are the NSA.

But getting the motion detection right is HARD. Bushes or leaves blowing in the wind, clouds passing overhead, flag in the neighbors yard....all might trigger it.

onewayrun

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Well she basically saw this and wanted something similar, and I can't tell even from reading their TOS and privacy statement what the people on Amazon are talking about. I don't see anything about them using video or images, and it mentions subscription but I don't see cost or what it entails.

https://www.samsungsmartcam.com/web/cmm/01_WS/Main.do

I only want wireless cause running network cable through several rooms to get it outside, I don't even know if I'd be able to do that any time soon. I'm fine with running power because I can just do that from the box outside or the lights or something.

The speaker isn't super necessary to me, but she wants it...

Your situation sounds ideal, and the dvr sounds nice too, it's really weird that all the current cameras I'm seeing are ridiculous or have these stupid subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.