home theater speakers

flying_squid

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
i have some extra home theater speakers and want to know if its possible to connect the front left and right speakers to my computer without a receiver. i have an Asus Xonar dgx sound card.

USAFRet

Illustrious

From your description, no.
Regular speakers would need a receiver to drive them.

Of course, we can't really tell from your description.
Make/model, please?

flying_squid

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014

Description of the speakers would be the RBH MM-4x front left and right channels.
i could get a different sound card if that's what needed. i just don't have room for a receiver.

sorry to rain on your parade usafret, but actually... not entirely true but you're on the right track.

you do not have to use a receiver, you can use just an amplifier. usafr is correct that you cannot just plug right up to the pc without powering them though as they are not self powered speakers. i think he just forgot about mini amps.

something as cheap as the lepai2020 may allow you to use them on the cheap but they do not have much output. the dta-120 or similar amp will give you more power.

here is a dta-120 on a desk. they are not large.

0.jpg

the specs for your speakers claim 8ohm 20-100w which will work with many small amplifiers. https://rbhsound.com/mm4x.php

USAFRet

Illustrious

I meant to come back around and add that in, but got distracted making dinner. mmmm.....ribs...:lol:

So...flying_squid...what will you drive these with?

flying_squid

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014

I have no idea. I've always used a receiver. what do you suggest?

USAFRet

Illustrious

An amp of some sort. Large or small.
But you can't run those off a PC sound card.

flying_squid

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014

So what setup would you recommend and how would I go about setting that up?