Homerecording issue on Laptop

TheSoleSurvivor

Commendable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello people! I own an ASUS X550JX with a Conextant HD soundcard (which is totally inferior) and would like to record my guitar on Guitar Rig 5 by connecting my guitar to my Laptop via 6.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter which looks like this;

200057_l.jpg

My motherboard has only one "combo" input which includes both microphone and headphone combined. So i attached this cable in order to split the mic and headphone input;

New-font-b-3-5mm-b-font-Stereo-Headphone-font-b-Microphone-b-font-Audio-Y.jpg

Then i connected my guitar to the mic input with the 6.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter attached, and a speaker to the headphone input, went over to the Guitar Rig 5 and started to play.

Unfortunately, the only sound i get is the distorted signal sound which comes from the internal amps on the Rig. When i disable the amps and try to get a clean sound, i only hear myself clicking and my fans working. That's right, the application uses not the mic input i want to use, but it uses the microphone of the Laptop itself.

I checked the routing options in the application and saw that the input was the Conextant Stereo Mix, and the output was the Conextant audio output.

I tried using the ASIO4ALL application to tinker with my soundcard options only to see that there were only 3 options which were;

-Conextant HD Sound
+Conextant HD Stereo mix
+Conextant HD audio capture
+Conextant HD audio output

Nothing less, nothing more. Now, is there any option other from acquiring an external soundcard or a pre-amp to fix this issue? If so, can you provide me with it?

Solution
If it is using the laptop microphone then it isn't registering the external one. Also, I have found using a splitter like that (if the 3.5mm port on the laptop is actually dual input/output) it often doesn't work. And if it isn't a dual port then it won't work at all with the mic.

You would be better off (and should actually work) getting a USB version. One you can plug both the speaker (or headphones) and the mic into and then connect the USB to the laptop. Then it should actually work.
If it is using the laptop microphone then it isn't registering the external one. Also, I have found using a splitter like that (if the 3.5mm port on the laptop is actually dual input/output) it often doesn't work. And if it isn't a dual port then it won't work at all with the mic.

You would be better off (and should actually work) getting a USB version. One you can plug both the speaker (or headphones) and the mic into and then connect the USB to the laptop. Then it should actually work.

Solution