Hook Up TV in Basement?

zony

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello! New around here and looking for some help!

I recently moved home form college for the summer and am in the basement until I go back to school. I have a TV down there and want to hook it up to cable but I'm not sure if it is even possible. We have Comcast and the upstairs have the cable boxes and what not. The TV cables that run upstairs and the hole where they do this, is what I can hook up the TV too. The problem is there is no spot for a cable to go into. I'm not sure if I need some sort of splitter or if this is even possible. Hope this makes some sort of sense. Thanks for any help!!!

Solution
you will need one of the cable boxes they give you for a multi-room setup.

you will also need to install a splitter somewhere after the outside box where the signal comes in.

you do not want to cut the cable unless you have the tools to put ends on coax. instead, you could buy a short piece of coax to run from the wall box to a splitter, hook up the existing line to the one side and then hook up another strand to run to the basement and your multi-room comcast box.

this is exactly how verizon tv works and based on a few diagrams that i saw looks to be how comcast works it also.

be sure to use the right coax wire...yes there are different types.
you will need one of the cable boxes they give you for a multi-room setup.

you will also need to install a splitter somewhere after the outside box where the signal comes in.

you do not want to cut the cable unless you have the tools to put ends on coax. instead, you could buy a short piece of coax to run from the wall box to a splitter, hook up the existing line to the one side and then hook up another strand to run to the basement and your multi-room comcast box.

this is exactly how verizon tv works and based on a few diagrams that i saw looks to be how comcast works it also.

be sure to use the right coax wire...yes there are different types.

Solution

zony

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, there is no cable wall outlet down there but looking last night, I can use the cable cord that runs upstairs that my sister doesn't use. I'm going to give that a try first and if that doesn't work, I can go from there. Thanks again!