Hooking old receiver to Smart TV

Jul 4, 2018
I have poured thru the threads on this subject & must be an idiot as I still can't figure it out. I have an Onkyo TX-SV545 receiver that I'm thinking is 20years old. I had it hooked up to my older TV with speakers in the living room, kitchen & patio to listen to TV or CD's. About 2 yrs ago I bought a Vizio E40-C2 smart TV but did not try hooking up the receiver at that time. After plugging in the y/w/r connectors to Video 1 on the receiver, then into the DVD player (think at one time had the receiver run to my VCR, then VCR to the TV). I turned off the tv speakers via tv menu but there was no sound, then plugged it into the back of the tv, still no sound. I went to Best Buy to see if there was a special cable I needed to achieve my goal & was told you can't hook an old receiver up to a Smart TV but I'm not buying that. 20 years ago I had the brain cells to hook up, the tv, CD player, VCR, cassette player into this receiver then added a box that let me control all speakers throughout the house but the ship has sailed on those brain cells. Not sure if I don’t have the receiver set on the correct mode (i.e. put it on Video) or if I have the cables in the wrong place, or if BB is correct it can’t be done. If it can be, how would I do it & in very simples terms lol. Thanks.

Solution
Connect all your video sources to the TV. Use HDMI if you can.
Connect all your audio only sources directly to the receiver.
Connect the RCA analog audio output of the TV to one of the inputs of the receiver. You can use any one but phono.
Check the TV manual on how to use the analog output. It may need to be turned on and the TV speakers turned off.
Connect all your video sources to the TV. Use HDMI if you can.
Connect all your audio only sources directly to the receiver.
Connect the RCA analog audio output of the TV to one of the inputs of the receiver. You can use any one but phono.
Check the TV manual on how to use the analog output. It may need to be turned on and the TV speakers turned off.

Solution