Hooking up a passive sub to my computer

Not open for further replies.


Apr 28, 2013
So I got a sony ss-wg990 for 10 dollars at goodwill and would like to hook it up to my pc. It has one rca jack output, which I assume was for the original receiver when it was with the set. My question is how do I power the sub and connect it to my computer? I know little about subwoofers and how to connect them if theyre passive. Thanks for any help


Jun 1, 2008
You'll need two things.
1. A 3.5mm split. One that splits the left and right channel, NOT one that duplicates both the left and right channels. In PC's the center channel and the sub channel share the same 3.5mm jack. So you will first need to separate them. Something like this, but you may need another type depending on the amp you get.


2. you would need an amplifier capable of driving the sub. This is where it gets hard. They don't really make specific external sub amps for home theater. Most subs are actively powered. Likely the one you get was for an all in one home theater which had the amp in the main unit. Your going to spend a lot more then it would be worth. take the 10 dollar loss and go find a decent 2.1 pc audio system. But otherwise you'll have to mod a plate amp into you sub.


edit: a quick google search shows your sub likely came from a 2.1 mini stereo system. Doesn't really change anything.
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Audio 2
S Audio 2
A Audio 4
Null895 Audio 1
F Audio 2
F Audio 3
klockem Audio 0
xmystbladex Audio 1
FirstLast1234 Audio 8
deusman Audio 1
D Audio 5
B Audio 1
Tofoss Audio 2
Pinesin Audio 2
L Audio 1
A Audio 1
3 Audio 1
M Audio 1
M Audio 1
F Audio 4
Similar threads
Question Computer is hooked up to monitor with HDMI to VGA adapter... Can I have audio or....?
Question How to hook up Bose. Tv speaker to Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Solved! Hooking up an active subwoofer to A/V receiver
Question How can hook up an old receiver to my TV and at audio
Solved! HELP: How to hook up TVEars Analog to Samsung Smart TV, w/no Audio Out or Earphones
Question Sennheiser RS160 & Yamaha TSR7850 Zone 2 Hook-up?
Question How can I hook aftermarket kdc-mp625 kenwood inline with factory head unit. Can I use rca to aux cable and plug it into the aux jack in my truck?
Question How to hook up a Active Sub to a PA amp (Crown XLS 1002) with a pair of passive speakers
Question I have a Samsung Q80R. The audio works fine when it's hooked up to my computer, but when I hook it up to my TV, it's extremely quiet. Why?
Question How does one hook up 5.1 surround sound ? (Logitech Z607)
Question Hooking up a sub woofer
Question trouble hooking up befree 4.1 channel surround sound to desktop pc
Question hooking up a Yamaha yas-108 to TV
Question Hooking up pc to home theater system
Question I have a pair of Mackie thump 12a active pa speakers. They are awesome ! How can I hook them up to my smart TV ?
Question How to Hook Up Taotronics Bluetooth Transmitter with Home Theater System
How can I hook up Samsung TV HDMI to alpine head unit with ai inpuy
Hopeing to hook a passive sub to a powered sub so all 3 speakers will work
How do I hook up a passive sub to a stereo?
I have a passive subwoofer that I would like to hook up to my sony str-dh550 receiver. I purchased a lepai preamp to connect t