Hooking up Sony SA-WCT100 to my gaming desktop. NO SOUND>!!!!

bmoorman05

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
A friend of mine just gave me a Sony SA-WCT100 soundbar plus subwoofer. I want to hook it up to my desktop so I can use it while I game. I also use my computer as a home theater hooked up to my television.

Here is what I have tried so far:

-I confirmed the unit works by taking a cable with the red and white to 1/8 aux to my cell phone and played pandora over that.

-I tried plugging in optical audio from my motherboard (gigabyte ga-z77z-ud3h) to the amplifier on the back of the subwoofer and my computer is showing its playing but I get no sound.

-I tried just the red and white to the 1/8 aux jack on my motherboard and that failed

-I tried hdmi from my motherboard to the unit and it failed

-I even tried pairing the red and white to aux with the optical audio cable for shits and giggles... failed

I am far from an expert with the home audio so any help is greatly appreciated! I am stumped!

Solution
1 x HDMI output ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 3 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 3 x digital audio input (optical) ( TOSLINK ) ¦ 1 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )

well from looking at it i would think you could...

run the hdmi you normally run to your monitor (works best if you only have 1 monitor) to the unit then run another one from the unit to your monitor. based on the hdmi input and output i'm assuming it has hdmi passthrough for video while it splits off the audio. dont forget you would need to set hdmi has the default audio device on your pc. it might not work if you dont have the monitor connected to the other end cant say for sure which is why i listed the monitor being...
1 x HDMI output ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 3 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 3 x digital audio input (optical) ( TOSLINK ) ¦ 1 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )

well from looking at it i would think you could...

run the hdmi you normally run to your monitor (works best if you only have 1 monitor) to the unit then run another one from the unit to your monitor. based on the hdmi input and output i'm assuming it has hdmi passthrough for video while it splits off the audio. dont forget you would need to set hdmi has the default audio device on your pc. it might not work if you dont have the monitor connected to the other end cant say for sure which is why i listed the monitor being placed after it.

OR

you could use spdif optical from your motherboard or sound card. remember you would need to set this as your default sound device. this would probably be the best way to hook it up if you arent comfortable running your monitor hdmi through it or if you have multiple monitors.

line in audio (single jack) wouldnt be able to get the most out of the system since its a 3.1 not stereo (line out is stereo only). it would be connected to the soundcard/motherboard line out jack (or headphone jack if you dont have line out).

Solution

bmoorman05

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

I have 3 monitors and my tv hooked up to my computer so I think I am going to have to use the optical cable.. I will mess around with it again tonight but I set that as my default and it didn't seem to work.

you might need to change the options to represent the type of speakers.

also does the soundbar have any sort of remote to denote which source it gets the input from? seeing as how it must have more electronics in it than just a normal speaker.

bmoorman05

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

I have a remote control for the unit and I have to set to TV (i have the optical plugged into tv as well) and I still get no sound... I opened my playback devices and I can see the green bar moving next to the speakers but nothing is coming out of them... I have the device set to default, when I try to configure the speakers it gives me the choice of stereo, quadraphonic, surround, 5.1 surround, 5.1 surround again, and 7.1 surround. i tried all of the configurations and none work.

bmoorman05

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

WWWOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I figured it out... Thanks for all of your help!!