Hooking up tv and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

luda100ka

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello, so i've got a problem with hooking up tv and laptop. I got the screen but i cant hear any sound from tv, only from my laptop.
When i connect the cables for sound into my headphones jack i cant hear any sound then ( nor from tv nor from laptop)
My cousing told me that i should switch to sound card but i really dont understand that lol..

If your sound is muted when you plug the cable, this means that this is the correct connector, so the problem is somewhere on the TV side. Make sure you have right connection which pairs VGA input (in TV) with the sound input. Check your TV manual. I have seen on some TVs that VGA input is paired with another 1/8" sound input (similar connector as for headphones)

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Good suggestion by Brett,

If your laptop has an HDMI output and your TV has an HDMI input. Buying an HDMI cable would solve a lot of trouble as both image and sound are carried with HDMI.

However, if VGA is your only option, as suggested by Alabalcho you might have to look at your TV manual to see how to pair video input with a particular audio input. Also check if you have more than one audio input behind the TV, trying another one might do the trick as the VGA might be paired by default with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.