House struck by lightning, diagnose TV issue

Dygard

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
Hey all,
Our house was struck by lightning and it destroyed a ton of our electronics. The Samsung TV was less than a year old so I would really like to try and repair it before replacing it outright. When you try to power it on, a red light slowly flashes on and off in the sensor at the bottom right. Can anyone help me diagnose the TV?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
your best bet, outside of the insurance "technique", is the crack open the back. There are just a few boards therein. The boards have stuff printed on them and along with expected voltages, mostly leaving or coming thru cabling between cards. IF you are capable enough, verify / check those voltages to see what's up. go from there. Lightning isn't nice but lots of times, its only a couple components that take the hit and may be replaced to get the thing back to life. Of course, the two likely areas will be the power supply board and the main control board.

Dygard

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
I already filed the claim through insurance. This is more of a learning/for fun project to repair the TV. I've already cracked the back open to look for any explicitly damaged components, and everything looks normal. How do I check the voltages?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
look at the boards... they will have printing on them that tells what pins have what... that is where you measure. If you don't know how to use a meter, there are lots of "tutorials" on the web on how to use it to measure things.