Hoverboards Get Real, Really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quyaan

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Interesting. However if it it's only magnetized then you can only "fly" on metal and not other surfaces like grass or concrete.
Not true, with a strong enough magnetic field you can repel yourself from planet to planet to travel through space.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Interesting. However if it it's only magnetized then you can only "fly" on metal and not other surfaces like grass or concrete.
Not true, with a strong enough magnetic field you can repel yourself from planet to planet to travel through space.
LOL! Science expert, I see.

Frankly, I see this as a scam where the people that have put this project out there are counting on people not knowing their science and that anyone with $10K to invest in this better be absolutely sure that they have gone to a demo and ridden this thing.

With today's technology, this falls among the "not by the current laws of physics." The power source, counting losses in the device, is astronomically unlikely to be that small.

Zaranthos

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
I'm no expert on magnetism or magnetic fields but I see a lot of claims they are making that I don't see the laws of physics allowing for. It requires a conductive surface that isn't magnetic. They really don't explain how the technology works at least in a way I could understand. Magnetic engines? OK, so they have four electromagnets producing magnetic fields they manipulate. I get that much. Are they inducing an opposing magnetic field in the conductive surface? Won't this require a LOT of power? Is the surface powered or just the engines via batteries? I don't see current battery technology supplying enough power to lift a 250 pound person for any length of time including the weight of the board and batteries.

Are they powering the surface so the limited board power provides enough repelling magnetic force to provide the lift? Is this an elaborately designed kickstarter hoax? They claim to one day duplicate this over land and even water. How? Unicorns and pixie dust?

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
From their Kickstarter page...
Currently, this surface [that it hovers over] needs to be a non-ferromagnetic conductor. Right now we use commonly available metals in a simple sheets, but we are working on new compounds and new configurations to maximize our technology and minimize costs.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
It's kind of like a maglev, but using slightly different theory or methods to achieve lift. Whereas maglev uses electromagnetic force to move a non-electrified magnetic object, the Hendo unit uses electromagnetic force generation on the object to repel it from a non-ferromagnetic surface such as the alloy surfaces used in the video.

I could see them selling the boards and then building an infrastructure of licensed skate parks where people could go use them, similar to traditional skate parks or the new trampoline/bounce parks that are popping up.

REMOTIZER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
I agree with Zaranthos, but my inner child wants to agree with wiyosaya. I've always wanted the coolest board for my 16 year old. I'm to busy to ride.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
As an option for large flat floors, I don't see why the metal platform couldn't be small and mobile (and stay) underneath the board as it moves. I found no mention of that idea on kickstarter, which seems odd, since once the board is perfected, the average person who might be tempted to buy it is not necessarily going to want to lay down a large (aluminum, copper, etc... very expensive) floor just to use it or have a place to dedicate to that purpose. A standard gymnasium or park surface would be a more likely venue.

ibjeepr

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
"potentially at a hoverpark near you in the future." AKA specialized surface that basically means this just works like a maglev, not a hover board.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
A scam to raise money from fools. This will only work if the floor you're gliding on is embedded with magnets or metals of opposing polarity. Take this to your neighborhood park and it will become a paperweight, quite literally.

LilAntny

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Forget the Hoverboard, it's of little importance. The engines show aa great deal of potential. I can see some real applications for it in the right environment. (i.e. Medical and Industrial).

Status
Not open for further replies.