How (And Why) To Build Your Own Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom][We at Tom’s Guide don’t typically deal much with screwdrivers. We’re busy being gadget geeks that love to unwrap a new and complete device from its packaging]Can't believe......if true, then you need to get a screwdriver NOW.I mean, almost ANYTHING in tomshardware is about DIY.... and time ago, notebooks are more abundant that desktops, so of course, your readers want to read about DIY notebooks (and DIY anything)[/citation]
Marco,
This site is not Tom's Hardware. This site is Tom's Guide, which (I know it confuses people) has a whole different point than Tom's Hardware. Hardware is for PC DIY/overclocking/components price/performance discussion. Tom's Guide is for checking out the newest trends in consumer electronics. Glad I could clarify for you :).

Thanks,
Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]TomsGuideRachel[/nom]Marco,This site is not Tom's Hardware. This site is Tom's Guide, which (I know it confuses people) has a whole different point than Tom's Hardware. Hardware is for PC DIY/overclocking/components price/performance discussion. Tom's Guide is for checking out the newest trends in consumer electronics. Glad I could clarify for you .Thanks,Rachel RosmarinEditor of Tom's Guide[/citation]
Doh!
I got this article by clicking a TomsHardware link. Did not noticed that it changed the site, since both change the interface so frequently that I cannot clue the site by his appearance.

Anyway... screwdrivers don't bite. Use them more frequently. :)

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
One reason for building your own notebook is that you don't get an operating system pre-installed. I wouldn't mind having the OS installed if I had my choice of OSs but it's hard to find a notebook that doesn't give you anything more than your choice of Windows version. Being a Linux guy myself, I'm not interested in giving Microsoft money for something I'm not going to use - and whose license agreement says I can't sell separate from the hardware it came on.

I'd never considered building my own, although this isn't really building, so I'm glad Tom's wrote this story. Not like the old 8080/Z80 days when when building your own involved a soldering iron but not a lot different from assembling a desktop system either.

Thanks Tom's, and thanks to everyone else who's suggested sites to visit.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]garydale[/nom]One reason for building your own notebook is that you don't get an operating system pre-installed. I wouldn't mind having the OS installed if I had my choice of OSs but it's hard to find a notebook that doesn't give you anything more than your choice of Windows version. Being a Linux guy myself, I'm not interested in giving Microsoft money for something I'm not going to use - and whose license agreement says I can't sell separate from the hardware it came on.I'd never considered building my own, although this isn't really building, so I'm glad Tom's wrote this story. Not like the old 8080/Z80 days when when building your own involved a soldering iron but not a lot different from assembling a desktop system either.Thanks Tom's, and thanks to everyone else who's suggested sites to visit.[/citation]
I cannot agree more :)

Also, most notebooks with windows does not include the installation disks. Only a recovery image on hard disk.

Worst, they are sold with loads of crapware, trial versions, demos, and useless stuff. Frequently, if you uninstall them, anyway they let garbage.

And if they includes windows Visa Crap edition, you need to pay for premium edition to be able to downgrade to XP. So you are forced to pay two times for Vista, and still do not get the installation disks.

Is cheaper to buy XP right from the retail market, or reuse one from a discarded computer.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
This is pretty interesting. Never would have thought about building my own laptop. Looks like there's no point in doing it though if you're looking for something simple. Though if you want a higher end laptop, it appears you can get a better rig for the same or less money.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
The hardest part is to find a graphic card that would fit. In this case, it's nearly impossible to find a laptop graphic card that would fit your needs. Until then I wouldn't want to waste my time.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
OK, I'm really not setting out to be an OCZ fanboy, but you might want to check out the company's 17" unit: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/diy_notebooks/ocz_diy_17-gaming_notebook-small_intel-ati_crossfire_edition-small_

Apart from the fact that there are two drive bays, which rocks, there are also two ATI GPU sockets. The assembly documentation doesn't reference these, but the overview notes being able to configure with just one GPU, so they must be socketed, not hard-mounted. My guess -- not official -- is that if there's sufficient market interest, OCZ and others will start producing multiple mobile GPU options that can be upgraded. I don't know if the socket adheres to the MXM specification or not. Still, once again, I think the point here is to get people thinking about the possibilities of a DIY notebook approach, both today and in the future, not so much to recommend any particular path.

maxnix

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Are there no provisions for fingerprint readers, in-lid cameras, or BT on these units?

It would have to be significantly cheaper to get me away form HP and Lenovo with their 3 year warranties.

Zorg

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]...paying out the ass and tearing out your rectum for a top performer.OCZ just isnt worth it.[/citation]Let me guess, you feel very strongly about this. I have no desire to take a trip to the hospital for a new notebook.

That's a brutal visual. :lol: :lol:

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I've always liked OCZ's products, and when I saw their DIY notebooks a while back I was intrigued to say the least. But then I actually went through and priced it all out...Compared to all the DYI's I've built before, they just weren't even close to worth it.

captainbeowulf

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I would really not recommend using magnetized tools to go after lost screws in a notebook's innards, or anywhere around the notebook. Whether they're "safe" or not, the magnetization can mess with the components. You should just be really, really careful with the screws. I built my own notebook first in 2004, with an Asus M6N. It's since been upgraded. Interestingly enough, the Intel CPU (1.7Ghz Pentium M) and one of the RAM sticks (512mb) eventually died within 3 year warranties and I RMA'd them and got replacements. Haven't had any other problems except for replacing the keyboard as a result of a drink being spilled on it. Notebook still runs great. The M6N was/is one of those lovely machines where you need to get both the keyboard and the bottom panels off to work on some stuff.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
TomsGuide is trying to say that building your own laptop makes sense from a gamers perspective. The shells alone cost enough to keep them out of the hands of people who don't need gamer spec hardware. But an Alienware with dual graphics cards and the QX9300 will set you back THOUSANDS more than just DIY.

On a side note, Toms, where do you guys buy your parts? I can't find anyplace that has the QX9300 for sale.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
All of the whitebooks that I've been able to find are at best a 9600GT equivalent. While that may play most current games at average frame rates, I wouldn't consider that a gaming laptop.

Really, what I have learned from looking into this is that if you want an above average laptop, then there are DIY choices out there, though they aren't really any better on price. Maybe if you don't want Windows and place no value on warranties or tech support, its possible to save a few bucks, but not much. The only real benefit to me would be that I trust myself to build a machine better than somebody at the Dell (or whatever) factory.

G

I've been very happy with my Gateway FX laptop. It has all of the best options at an unbelievably low price. I can throw anything at it and play on high settings. I actually have used it more than my DIY desktop. The great thing about the FX series laptops is the ability to upgrade the processor and run a dual HDD setup. Plus I didn't have to build it.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Since portable computers outnumber desktop ones, and there is not enough DIY options, I are deeply worried than there is a voluntary industry will to terminate the DIY market.

As notebooks become more numerous, desktops become less and less profitable, because sales are diverted to portable.

and notebooks are the best business to trademark PCs, so they have interest in maintaining DIY computers out of the market.

ironleg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I would like to build a laptop with components I would choose like building a desktop. I have tried to find black box and white box that had dual video cards, a blue ray burner, a RAID 0 SETUP on hdd, at least 4 gigs of ram or more, and a slot for a lan nic like the killer nic(stripped down)and able to play all of the latest games on max. ive priced 1 at alienware at about 3650.00 so with tax and everything 4 gs. and no promice of it runing windows 7 or dual boot ubuntu. they need to add some customization. its not like the days when you ordered a model t and had a choice of colors, black or black. ( water cooling would be cool too!)

G

Ok, if someone could help me out. I would like to build a 17" laptop. I'll only do it if I can swap parts as they come out. For example when Bluetooth 3.0 comes out I want to be able to add that without replacing the mother board. In 3 years when the newest CPU's are out I would like to replace just that or a small mother board and still be able to use everything else. New wireless technology and so on. Battery packs that can be upgraded via opening the pack and adding 6000mah batteries with a new chip in the pack. You get the point. I would keep it forever if this were possible. Is this possible now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS