How bad is the Lenovo Y50 Screen? Any gaming laptop suggestions? Please help.

Sean499

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Want to purchase a really good gaming laptop (wanted to get Asus Rog g750JM, but its to big and heavy). Looking at the Lenovo Y50 and heard some mix reviews about the screen quality? Is it really that bad and noticeable? Would it be possible to switch out the screens at a later time? Any other great gaming laptop suggestions for me to look at?

Solution
Hey! Here is what I can tell you or anyone thinking about the Y50-

Im a design student at OCAD University. I choose this laptop because of the hardware inside for the price. Im totally pleased. Does a fantastic job at rendering high poly 3D artwork and im still able to enjoy the latest 2014 games on high or sometimes max/ultra settings at 1080p for a solid 50-60fps (without anti-alis gives 50-60fps in most games).

AS FOR THE DISPLAY:

Yes. Its pretty poor. Im sure this was a key factor in making it a budget gaming system. I had a project regarding colour and self portrait. The colours i choose looked fine on the machine but when viewing it on a friends macbook or even my HTC Desire 601, it looked SOOO MUCH MORE PURE.

im not just...

r4microds

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
Hey! Here is what I can tell you or anyone thinking about the Y50-

Im a design student at OCAD University. I choose this laptop because of the hardware inside for the price. Im totally pleased. Does a fantastic job at rendering high poly 3D artwork and im still able to enjoy the latest 2014 games on high or sometimes max/ultra settings at 1080p for a solid 50-60fps (without anti-alis gives 50-60fps in most games).

AS FOR THE DISPLAY:

Yes. Its pretty poor. Im sure this was a key factor in making it a budget gaming system. I had a project regarding colour and self portrait. The colours i choose looked fine on the machine but when viewing it on a friends macbook or even my HTC Desire 601, it looked SOOO MUCH MORE PURE.

im not just talking about saturation. I seriously mean the purity of the colour was much more rich where as the same file looked VERY washed out on the Y50. This is sorta a letdown because it makes it difficult to work on colour based artwork. However!!! As a student majoring in Industrial Design, i focus more on 3D modeling and form opposed to getting colours perfect. I also enjoy playing games which look perfectly fine on the Y50.

So what can i say? This laptop is great for anyone looking for a solid gaming experience but not wanting to spit out $2500+. The Y50 is REALLY SOLID with games. 90FPS Skyrim and Warthunder maxed out (minus anti alis, at 1080p). 50-60FPS metro last light and BF4 on high settings 1080p (offline, not online).

*Note these framerates are the average i noticed and based on the latest GTX 860m driver, the machine plugged in with charger, and battery setting on high performance.

VERDICT? - Don't let the screen be a letdown. yes you wont see the purest of colours but without any expensive IPS display to compare it to, it looks fine and is similar to your typical $500 dell/hp/acer basic use laptop. If you are going into serious artwork like Photoshop, illustrator, etc.. Then no, go for a Mac or something with a really good IPS display because the Y50 will not be ideal for you.

Solution

Azzuen

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi guys
I own a Lenovo Y50 Touch and the screen out of the box, yes, seems pale and washed out and many think that the problem is the led.
However, i found a 'fix', turns out that the saturation needs some tweaking, that's all.
How? Right click on desktop and select Intel properties. From there select display (like duh!!!) and then color. Then select advanced settings and i suggest saturation no higher than 50.
Definitely does the trick ;)

wildbeast008

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I own a Lenovo Y50. Been using it around 2-3 months i guess. I didn't realize that the screen display was bad until i saw those reviews popping up :p .
Its not that noticeable as they say(color saturation point of view), BUT! the viewing angles are really bad. If you aren't faced properly at a position, you can see the shades of the screen.
As mentioned by another user, you can change the saturation options in the Intel options.
If you still aren't comfortable with the display, you can always get a replacement for a cheap price :)
Coming to the performance, it's just smooth sailing. BF 3 at ultra gives me around 50fps average! :D
Until now, other than the display, i didn't face any other problem. :)

lra

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
Hi! What about the Brightness levels? I heard that you need to crank the brightness all the way up to see properly what's on the screen ,which seriously decreases battery life.Is that true?

someguyfromLA

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

I'll be dammed. That really did do the trick. Thanks! I was looking into replacing the panel but I'm good with this.

satsy

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Really Lenovo Laptop display is worst, it is not showing actual colors even after color management calibration. I saw Asus/Acer/Samsung, these are proving goog display color,

I contacted customer support also, it is worst. they are unable to help.

Keypad of Lenovo laptops are also worst, you cannot type properly, you will miss the characters during typing

bill2uok

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

danielmc

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Saludos, disculpame por escribir en español, pero se me hace más cómodo que en ingles,

Así como te lo ha mencionado r4microds, es una bestia en cuanto a potencia, para lo que cuesta, es una laptop bastante agil y rápida, sin problemas para multitareas, y me corre perfecto Far Cry 4. Sin embargo, acabe de tener un problema con la pantalla, y es que su pantalla (at least the screen's skeleton) ha sufrido una quebradura sin haber sido forzada la pantalla, lo que ocasiono un desvío de la misma. En cuanto a rendimiento gráfico me parece suficiente para mí. Suerte eligiendo tu laptop.