How can I close my HP laptop lid and still view the screen on a separate monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2018
When my HP Pavillion g series laptop lid is open, I can view on it's screen and also on the monitor connected to the laptop. But when I close the lid, both screens go black.
HOW CAN I CLOSE MY LAPTOP LID AND STILL VIEW THE SCREEN ON THE ATTACHED MONITOR?

Solution
you need to stop the lid from turning off power. I do this with my hp notebook as well.

Under Control Panel

Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->Edit Plan Settings

Click on the "Change Advanced Power Settings"

under, "Power buttons and lid" is where you want to go and change it. You can make it not sleep or turn off monitor.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
you need to stop the lid from turning off power. I do this with my hp notebook as well.

Under Control Panel

Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->Edit Plan Settings

Click on the "Change Advanced Power Settings"

under, "Power buttons and lid" is where you want to go and change it. You can make it not sleep or turn off monitor.

Solution

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
mine goes off. Hang on mate, I'm on the notebook, let me dig around. There is another setting where you can only power the external monitor. that must be done. I am looking for that. Sorry. when I answered I was at a workstation. lol

Aug 3, 2018

I think it depends on the laptop, My brothers notebook turned off, but mine stays on.

If it does stay on be carful of heat, I've seen screen break due to it.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
here.

System Settings->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->System Settings

under here, you see When I Close The Lid options. Set them to Do Nothing. If your internal monitor does not auto shut off then I would not use this option. It should auto shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.