Solved! how can I connect a SYBA USA VGA to HDMI converter Audio connector to an external amp/speaker

Jul 17, 2020
I tried connecting to a powered speaker/monitor. I plugged the 1/8 stereo male into a splitter which was an 1/8" female stereo to2 rca cables. The rca end plugged into stereo inputs on a powered monitor. It did not work. I would rather have the sound coming thru the bigger, better sounding monitor speaker than the TV speaker. Any ideas?
Thanks

Solution
I believe I tried that, but just in case I will try it again

Just to reiterate what I have done with the converter I just picked up:

I connected the optical out from the TV to the converter box, connected the USB power cord from converter box to USB on the TV, connected the RCA outs from converter box to RCA inputs on my powered speaker.

Went to the TV settings and choose the external audio option, and set it to PCM

I get no audio. I have been fooling with this for days. Trying differnt cables, etc.
The TV is a Samsung 4500 series Smart TV.
That's it in a nut shell.

I will try coming straight out of the PC again. I mainly watch drum instruction videos on YouTube and like the bigger sound.
JACK

Make sure you have the...
I doubt that the converter you mentions works in both directions. That means that the inputs, VGA video plus audio, cannot be used as outputs.
Your question doesn't have enough information to give you an exact answer.
You can connect the speaker to the TV with an optical to analog converter.
You can connect the speaker to the TV HDMI-ARC port with an HDMI-ARC audio extractor.
You might be able to connect the speaker directly to your source or sources. An HDMI input selector with audio extraction will work for multiple sources.
In almost all cases the output to the TV is fixed so you adjust the volume of the speaker itself.

Jul 17, 2020
You are correct. I was assuming I could take the 1/8" stereo cable from the
VGA /HDMI and connect that to a powered monitor. WRONG. Like you said i need an optical to analog converter to do what I need.
Thanks for the response. It verifies what I found out. Learn something new every day. This new project has kept me busy during this crazy time.
This site is an awesome resource that covers such a wide range of topics. WELL DONE! THANK YOU!

Jul 17, 2020

I connected the optical out from the TV to the converter box, connected the USB power cord from converter box to USB on the TV, connected the RCA outs from converter box to RCA inputs on my powered speaker.

I get no audio. I have been fooling with this for days. Trying differnt cables, etc.

I will try coming straight out of the PC again. I mainly watch drum instruction videos on YouTube and like the bigger sound.
JACK

JACK

Make sure you have the default audio out set as the sound card not HDMI, and do not connect the audio cable from the VGA to HDMI adapter to the computer, just audio out/headphone out to the speakers from the computer.

Solution
Jul 17, 2020
Hi Guys
I have an optical to analog converter, not working.

I'll give this another look : Make sure you have the default audio out set as the sound card not HDMI, and do not connect the audio cable from the VGA to HDMI adapter to the computer, just audio out/headphone out to the speakers from the computer.

I AM LITERALLY AT MY WITS END AND AM READY TO SEND THE DAC BACK.
i GIVE UP. i HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING i KNOW AND YES i REMOVED THE ENDS FROM THE OPTICAL CABLE.

Thank you everyone for your help. Maybe the Samsung has a quirk, I don't know,
I am going down for one last stab then have to move on. it is cutting into important projects waiting on me, Thanks again

Jul 17, 2020
Okay the last stab paid off. The Digital /Analog Audio Converter is going back.
I ended up swapping the Smart TV I was using for an older one I had in the house.
The older TV had am 1/8' audio stereo output. I used that. Problem solved. The newer Smart TV's I have in my house did not have this output available.
Thank you all to those that helped out.
Now on to the next debacle.