Question How can I fix this? Cannot add account on Android phone (Moto E Gen1)

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I did a factory reset on my Moto E generation 1 Android phone because it had become horribly slowed down over the years.

After doing this, I've found that the buttons on screen which would be needed to progress through the account addition procedure do not work.

I can put in my email address and password just fine. Where I get stuck is when it asks me to add my phone number, or if this screen doesn't show up for some reason, I get stuck on the screen where it demands to know if I'll be using the device myself or whether a child will be using it.

There's a button saying Next or something like that. I can't click it. It doesn't work. I had no issues when initially setting up the phone. I'm just trying to add my existing google account.

I know other people have had the same problem. The only solution I'm aware of is updating Google Play Store, Google Play Services, and Chrome. Some combination of these apparently helped someone else. Allegedly because they needed to install versions compatible with the version of Android on the phone (5, I think. I have 5.1)

But I can't log in to Google Play Store in order to update anything. If I go into my Apps menu, it claims everything is updated.

I can't do anything on the phone other than make phone calls, essentially.

I CAN use ADB to manually force the installation of apk files, but when I tried this it told me they were already installed.
I had changed the file names to make them easier to enter into the command prompt. Not sure if that matters?

I cannot root the phone. Seems they don't provide codes if the phone is more than 3 years old.

I also can't locate and activate APK files on the phone because the Moto E has no file explorer, and I can't install one because I can't get onto the Google play store.

Can anyone help?

Failing that I'm open to recommendations for a replacement phone. Something with a similarly cheap contract price. This one was £7.50 a month I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS