Solved! how can i get a product key of windows by providing the product id of the laptop [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

macd76.sm.sm

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
i had a couple used laptops lying around so i decided to make them a spare time repair project. the hard drive on both had to be replaced due to the bios not recognizing them on booting up but instead of buying new ones i used salvaged ones. mind you i didn't reformat them upon installation simply because i wouldn't have to buy a windows media disc. both of the hard drives have the pre-installed versions of windows already on them. now im trying to upgrade windows but the product keys wont work because they aren't in their original system. the product keys are valid.is there any way to use those keys to aid me in my upgrade or will i have to break down and reformat and purchase a windows media cd.

Solution
If the hard drives you're dealing with are genuine and came out of other genuine keyed laptops then the key is bound to the motherboard it came from. In essence you're going to need to purchase an activation key...or you could apply for a volume licence if you install the OS on enough system's to make that endeavor worth while.

Lutfij

Splendid
If the hard drives you're dealing with are genuine and came out of other genuine keyed laptops then the key is bound to the motherboard it came from. In essence you're going to need to purchase an activation key...or you could apply for a volume licence if you install the OS on enough system's to make that endeavor worth while.

Solution

macd76.sm.sm

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

thank you. i was afraid it was going to be that way

Status
Not open for further replies.