How can I get Lenovo recovery partition back on drive.

ReinhardtU

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Hi,
I was cloning my old 240GB SSD to my new 250GB SSD but found afterwards that Windows couldn't see the Lenovo recovery partition anymore and remembered then that I had the same issue long ago when I replaced the 500GB HDD which it came with the first time to an SSD. This time though after even fooling around with the disk id and offset of where the recovery is on the drive in the reagent.xml file I couldn't resolve the issue. Then I made a fatal mistake...by accident I converted original SSD drive to a dynamic disk. Now I know that you can only return it to a basic disk by doing a complete clean of the disk...and that's exactly what I did. I made a recovery usb drive and a system image first thinking i could then just boot up from it and recover the image. Now everytime i try that it gives me an error (0xc038001c) "The specified volume extent is not within the public region of the disk. I have no clue what that means and figured that maybe the drive had to be formatted first and Dynamic again so even gave that a go but still the image doesn't want to load. I ended up doing a complete new re-install from a usb recovery drive which i made the first time I set up the notebook but now the recovery partition is not on the disk anymore. How can I get that recovery back on the drive. It seems that when you create a recovery drive Windows also tells you that it can delete the recovery partition after it finishes but i always kept it on the HDD/SDD incase something happens with the usb drive. I'd appreciate any advice I might get to make me sleep better at night. :)

Solution
The only way to preserve the entire recovery partition is to clone the disk and keep that image handy. Otherwise there's no convenient download unless somebody has the same system as you and is willing to upload it to an FTP or create a torrent. Other than that, you'll have to contact Lenovo for a disc, if available, and pay for it.

I apologize if I missed anything in your OP; had to skim through it due to a time crunch.

ReinhardtU

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact make a recovery usb drive before the time so that saved me some time (had to still re-install all 3rd party software etc. and there was some 137 Windows updates waiting for me *smh*) The question I really have is if it's somehow possible to take this partition on the usb drive and copy it back on my SSD. The idea of having the recovery partition on my SSD in the event something happens to the usb drive would put my mind at ease. Oh and the thing is I never made a recovery image until only after I accidentally converted the disk to a dynamic disk. Now whenever I try to recover that image I get a error code which I've searched all over on the net for but can't find a clear indication of why it's not working.

Well, you might be able to clone that partition via a third party cloning/imaging utility (they give you more control than the Windows imaging tool). Applications like True Image or Norton's Ghost would work well, or there are free alternatives, like EaseUS Todo or Clonezilla. If you initially backed that recovery image up using the manufacturer's utility, I can't say for certain whether you'll be able to use these tools to migrate the partition back to the hard drive or not.

Solution