How can I get surround sound from my laptop to a HT reciever?

Seanmac98

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I've got myself an old Home Theatre Receiver and the speakers that came with it. My laptop has HDMI out and a headphone output. Because I've got an older receiver, I don't have a direct hdmi input for the speakers. The back of the receiver only has standard composite input, some "digital input" I'm not familiar with, and multi-channel composite input (splitting front and surround speakers).

If I plug in an old DVD player to the standard L and R composite inputs, surround sound works fine. Even the old Gamecube works for surround sound, just so long as there's a "surround" option in the in-game settings. The thing is, I can't seem to get my laptop to utilize the back speakers. I tried using an HDMI to composite converter to no avail. I also tried plugging it into a projector with hdmi in and composite audio out with the "surround" option on, no luck. Even tried a 3.5mm to coaxial cable, nothing.

I'm guessing the best option is probably one of those external sound cards, but I don't know much about them, and was hoping someone here would know what the best option is for me. Thanks in advance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Richoe Downs Audio 1
Kartunz Audio 6
J Audio 1
M Audio 1
P Audio 4
S Audio 1
L Audio 1
G Audio 4
S Audio 2
A Audio 14
J Audio 3