Solved! How can I hook two headsets with mics up to the same PC/laptop, allowing them to freely talk to each other?

JKDriven

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
I am involved in broadcasting for a school and want the two broadcasters to be able to communicate with each other through the headsets. We had this setup functioning properly on a laptop using a splitter until it randomly stopped working one day. Both the mics and the headphones work on the headset, they just can't communicate to each other. Any ideas as to why is stopped working randomly? How would you go about setting this up?

Solution
Verify that both headsets work independently and that the problem (feedback delay) does not occur on either one, seperately and with or without the splitter involved.

My current thought is that the dual setup originally worked because of some specific configuration.

Then was an update or some other change made that "undid" that configuration. Now you just have to rediscover what that configuration was.

Try turning the "listen to this device" off. And also try changing "Playback through this device" setting.

It does appear that you have been trying various configurations therein but I am not sure how deep you drilled in or what configuration variations you have tried.

Found a variety of links online addressing similar...

JKDriven

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Yes, we did try multiple different splitters, one of which was the same exact model, so I don't believe that would be the problem

Does each headset/mic set work independently? You noted that both worked but if some intermittent connectivity lost is involved then perhaps one or other is not completely functional.

Try them again independently and add some gently twisting and bending around the connection points.

Look for an intermittent connection.

Also take a close look that the 3.5mm (1/8") male pins. Look for signs of damage: scratch, dents, bent....

If you are not familar with the connectivity; i.e., TS, TRS, TRRS (T= Tip, S = Sleeve, R = Ring) google and look for images of the pins/ports and wiring involved.

See if you can narrow down the problem to one headset/mic or the other.

JKDriven

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Here is why we think both headsets work. If we go into settings, then to recording devices, and then turn on the setting "listen to this device," the headsets are able to communicate with each other. I can hear the other person and they can hear me. The problem is that when this setting is on, there is a feedback delay, so you hear yourself speak slightly after you said it. This makes it incredibly hard to speak, and it is not suitable for broadcasting. I'm not 100% but I don't believe the setting was on when it was working, but I definitely know that there was no delay.

Verify that both headsets work independently and that the problem (feedback delay) does not occur on either one, seperately and with or without the splitter involved.

My current thought is that the dual setup originally worked because of some specific configuration.

Then was an update or some other change made that "undid" that configuration. Now you just have to rediscover what that configuration was.

Try turning the "listen to this device" off. And also try changing "Playback through this device" setting.

It does appear that you have been trying various configurations therein but I am not sure how deep you drilled in or what configuration variations you have tried.

Found a variety of links online addressing similar configurations and problems.

However, you should be able to experiment some as long as you keep notes on what you do in order to reverse some change if necessary. Change only one thing at a time.

And I discovered something on my system:

Sound > Recording devices > Microphone (SB Audigy) > Properties > Sound Blaster [tab] > Settings.

Seemed as if there was nothing there but then after about 20 seconds another window opened: "Audio Control Panel".

Another set of configuration options.....

Solution