How can i improve my laptop for gaming, if its possible

John Heffernan

Estimable
May 10, 2015
I have a acer aspire e 15 touch, it has intel core i5, a intel hd graphics card, i don't know anything about computers or gaming technology so if you can please explain if i can help my laptop out with gaming, i downloaded steam and got battlefield bad company 2, im playing online and the quality is not that good, it seems slow, so if anyone can give me some help i would appreciate it.

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hardware wise, what Digitaldoc said. But there's some things you can do in the software range.

Update drivers
Make sure as few as possible other things are running while you game
Have the power setting on "High" or "power user" or whatever your equivalent is. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/
Keep vents free to ensure optimal airflow.
Sweep for virus/malware

But we're talking performance increase in the percentages here. Don't expect miracles.

stokieben

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Sorry to say but for any real performance gains you're going have to either get a desktop build or purchase a laptop with a dedicated GPU, the intel HD graphics are really not meant for anything other then light gaming.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-much-ram-do-you-really-need-for-gaming/

Adding RAM will not increase the FPS.

Additional RAM can help a little bit (generally 5% - 10% better performance) if the laptop currently only has 1 stick of RAM installed. This means it runs at single channel mode or half speed data transfer. With two sticks of RAM installed they will be running in dual channel mode or normal speed for data transfer.

Integrated graphics like Intel HD graphics relies on system RAM rather than dedicated RAM. Therefore, if the RAM is operating at half the normal speed, then that affects the performance of data being read and written to the system which can slow down gaming performance.

==============================

Regardless, the best way to get better performance is to purchase a laptop with dedicated graphics. Integrated graphics performance have improved over the past few years, but they are still weak compared to mainstream dedicated graphics like the nVidia GT 840m.