How Can I Use Sennheiser "TV Ears" While Allowing Others to Enjoy Surround Sound?

gblunt99

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I have a 6.1 Surround SOund system powered by a Yamaha RX A750 home theater receiver. I want to boost dialogue for myself using "TV Ears" made by Sennheiser (Set 840-TV headphones,) while others continue to enjoy the Surround Sound. The headphones jack cuts off all sound to the surround sound speakers. And if I route audio solely through the TV, of course, that too cuts off all sound to the surround sound speakers. If I route the audio to both the TV and the amp, there is a very noticeable echo effect caused by one lagging behind the other. But I can't seem to get audio out of the receiver to the Sennheiser unit. The Yamaha has many RCA jacks, and I have the splitter/adapter wire, but none of them seems to output to the Sennheiser. Can anyone help?

Solution
You can try connecting the transmitter for the headphones to the zone 2 line level output. That will have it's own input selection and volume control. Set the input to the same one being sent to the TV and adjust the volume so you don't overload the input of the headphone transmitter (if you do there will be audible distortion) or set it to fixed output.
This may not work if the receiver won't send digital audio to the zone 2 analog audio output.
The only other option I can find is to connect a speaker to line level adapter to the center speaker output (along with the center speaker).
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
That will allow you to connect the transmitter there. This will give you dialogue only through...
You can try connecting the transmitter for the headphones to the zone 2 line level output. That will have it's own input selection and volume control. Set the input to the same one being sent to the TV and adjust the volume so you don't overload the input of the headphone transmitter (if you do there will be audible distortion) or set it to fixed output.
This may not work if the receiver won't send digital audio to the zone 2 analog audio output.
The only other option I can find is to connect a speaker to line level adapter to the center speaker output (along with the center speaker).
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
That will allow you to connect the transmitter there. This will give you dialogue only through the headphones. The volume of the surround system will affect the volume of the headphones so the converter above has level controls. Set the system volume to where you usually play it and adjust the input to the transmitter on the converter so it doesn't overload. You may not have to do any of this adjusting but better to be aware.

Solution

gblunt99

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

gblunt99

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
Thanks, AA. That little LOC 8) unit may be just the thing. The Sennheiser comes with a little mic you can put over the centre speaker, but it ain't gonna be pretty, and I don't think the sound will be too good. I'll fiddle some more and get back. Thanks again.

gblunt99

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

gblunt99

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
Thanks so much. I did indeed purchase the little line-out converter, and just connected it tonight. I am now getting the dialogue through the Sennheiser unit. This is exactly what I wanted: a way to boost the dialogue for me, that doesn't ruin the Surround Sound for everyone else. Looks like it'll work. Next challenge: adjusting balance of volume to centre speakers/other speakers, so that I can hear the "surround" in addition to the dialogue. This may be too much to ask, but I'm gonna try. I'll post back if I have anything to add. Thanks for your help.