How clear should 1080p look in a 50'' LED TV?

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I might have made a bit of a mess here. In terms of buying the WRONG TV.

I wanted to get my mom a new LED TV. She was still using an old 1997 Sony TV and I decided it was about time to get her a new one. She could have bought one herself, sure. But she didn't want to shelf out that extra cash, not until the TV actually broke down.

So I got another job and got her the biggest TV I could afford. Which was around $500 in US currency(I live in asia)

This was a Devant 50' LED TV. Full HD 1080p 60hertz - but all just standard. non of that smart tv stuff.

It was...okay, I had to buy a media box just to make sure it runs on 16:9 whenever I play HD movies on it. HDMI cord is being used gold plated etc. I also fine tuned the color so it isnt too bad. I did not expect much for its price anyway.

I was suppose to get the 43' LG that was only around $30-40 cheaper, but again - I wanted to get the biggest one I could afford so I got the fifty.

Here's my question. Whenever I play 1080p movies x264,MKV,MP4 etc all that stuff (aside from x.265 which the media box cant read unfortunately) IT NOT SO...HD?! why is this? Black levels are terrible which I expected for this price range but thats not even the real issue.

There is a MONSTER AMOUNT OF GRAIN. Grainy as hell!
At first I thought this was because of the stupid ass brand not being legit and all. But no, I used my Nikon d7000 which can shoot uncompressed 1080p videos to make a test vid. I played it on the TV and boom, FULL HD goodness. No more grain and black levels even improved.

Do 50' inch TV scale bad with 1080p? I mean, the reason I am disturbed by this is because 1080p on my 24inch asus monitor looks really good even almost to perfection. So I guess the 1080p is being stretched out too much on a bigger screen? or the brand is just bad?

sorry for the semi-rant. My mom loves the TV and has no complaints, its just I think I made a mistake getting her this brand.

Solution
Everything being equal, lower-than native resolution materials will display worse in a bigger screen, that's like when actors complaint "oh my God, they gonna film me in HD, they gonna see all my zits and pores and..." Now some TVs are able to "up-sample" better than others. Take the same video files, stuff it in a flash, and go the store and make directly comparison to other 50 inchers.

Oaklandmurphy

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Depending on how close you sit to TV 50 inches is quite large for 1080p and It will definitely look grainy if you view it from a fairly short distance. It may also be that your signal is weak and the bitrate needs to be lowered to prevent stuttering which will increase grain and decrease color accuracy of any streamed content significantly while having no effect on locally stored video. The only real solution for this is to get a better internet connection. And finally, it could just be a crappy screen plain and simple, but I would look into other possibilities first.

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

You made a mistake getting cheap 50 inch .. it i not about the resolution and size only ...

There is color production , contrast , black an white accuracy , input Lag , Panel Type (VA , IPS , PLS , etc) and refresh rate ..

for $500 I would never get more than 40-43 inch TV to get best picture and best colors and best sharpness and fast refresh.

Cheap LG are not good either , Samung and Sony are better , and you need to pick the right model for fast input lag and high refresh rate

good 50 inch TV start form $900 .. never get cheap 50 inch TV

Everything being equal, lower-than native resolution materials will display worse in a bigger screen, that's like when actors complaint "oh my God, they gonna film me in HD, they gonna see all my zits and pores and..." Now some TVs are able to "up-sample" better than others. Take the same video files, stuff it in a flash, and go the store and make directly comparison to other 50 inchers.

Solution

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

THIS. this is what I should have done.

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

This is good to know. I knew it was kinda too good to be true. I had buyer's impulse in the store and when I asked my mom if she liked the TV she said, yes. So I instantly bought it. I should have done more research .Although, a 43' tv would not make much of an impact imho. It really needed to be a 50' TV so that she can fully appreciate the upgrade. Ill just save up for a 900$ TV then get her a new one. I can use her tv now for my PC monitor or maybe put it in our living room.

Thanks!

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Yea i think the TV was just really crappy. Lesson learned.

Although when the movie is in like daylight or any bright scene, the picture is very good. Usually only on dark scenes you can see things fall apart.