How do I change the default download location on a N817?

andriod_guy_thing

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
I have a problem where whenever I'm trying to download an app, it always says that it can't install the app because of the default install location. It always does this even if I have plenty enough storage. I do not have an SD card so I was wondering how would I change the install location to somewhere else on my phone. In the past, everything I've downloaded has gone into the misc. folder but it's just started doing this recently.

Solution
I know that phone doesn't have a lot of storage space (4GB), and that is before the OS and preinstalled apps take up a lot of it. So how much space does it say you have? And how large are the apps you are trying to download and install?

Also, be sure you are taking into account the space that photos, videos, etc., take up, which can be large. And many apps take up even more space after installed by storing data on the device.

andriod_guy_thing

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017

The space that has been taken up in the Misc. files is 204MB. The available space is 251MB. The app I'm trying to install takes up 67.62MB. Also, I was looking at the error and I didn't say it right in the question, it quotes " '....' can't be installed in the device's default install location. Review your device's storage and try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -20)" and I also tried to get rid of some stuff in the Misc. files but I'm worried that I might delete something I need. I think "gallery3d", "games" (of which I have none installed except for the one I'm trying to install) "zte_editor", "gobjcache.bin", and "apn" are ones I should get rid of but I don't 100% know what they are.

The miscellaneous files could be messages in the phones text messaging app, caches of different apps, any files on the phone that don't fall under app, video, photo, etc., and a few other things. I would try clearing out your texts, and then if it still gives you trouble with the install, I would consider backing up your files to a cloud account or computer (videos, music, photos, contacts, etc., just not apps) as a precaution. Then you can try a "Factory Reset", done from within the phone's "Settings" area, which usually saves your data, but better to be safe than sorry. Or you can do a full on "Hard Reset" which will wipe everything on the phone and set it back to actual factory settings. No saved extra stuff. This will allow you to know what is on the phone before you added anything.

Otherwise I wouldn't delete any files without knowing what they are for. You risk bricking the device.

andriod_guy_thing

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017

So I didn't delete anything and all I did was go into storage and clear all the cache and it worked! Apparently that's all I had to do but thank you for helping me with this.

Solution