How do I choose a capacitor to crossover mid frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vascobrissos14

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,

I am building a speaker with 2 10W mid range speakers.

My question is which capacitor do I need to block low frequencies?

Thank you for all the help!

Solution
The frequency in the formula is where the speakers response is 3db down.
A single capacitor will only give you a 6 db per octave roll off so the speaker will have appreciable output at least 2 octaves lower than that. If you crossover at 200 then the speaker will only be 6 db down at 100 and 12 db down at 50.
I would guess that the speaker itself already way down at 200 hz so you would be adding the crossover to the response of the speaker. You might be OK without any crossover depending on where you bring the woofer in.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I'm just saying that your question can't be answered in a single post.
There are a few other components in the speaker wiring than a single capacitor, that all have to work together.

There is not a single number that would work in all DIY speakers.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Define "low" frequencies.

Do you want low end cutoff at 20Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz, 300Hz, etc.?

What about high end cut off?

Methinks you have much to learn before you try to do it yourself.

The frequency in the formula is where the speakers response is 3db down.
A single capacitor will only give you a 6 db per octave roll off so the speaker will have appreciable output at least 2 octaves lower than that. If you crossover at 200 then the speaker will only be 6 db down at 100 and 12 db down at 50.
I would guess that the speaker itself already way down at 200 hz so you would be adding the crossover to the response of the speaker. You might be OK without any crossover depending on where you bring the woofer in.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.