How do I connect a LG NB550A sound bar to my TV that doesn't have an optical out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I am a complete noob with home cinema and would greatly appreciate any help solving the problem I have got my self in.

I have brought this sound bar, (LG NB5530A) as I got a really good deal. (not from amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-NB5530A-Channel-Premium-Wireless/dp/B00E0E9F5S

which has

Inputs
1x optical in
or
Blue tooth

But I have brought this TV ( Toshiba 40l1333D) , as it was £229 in Argos
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-40L1333D-40in-LED-FULLHD-Television-/131117934157

Which has the following connections

Connectivity:
1 SCART socket, 2 USB ports and 3 HDMI sockets.
PC input socket.
Component video socket.
Composite.
Headphone socket.
S-Video socket.

Does anyone know how I connect this up without an optical out on the TV. I know this is a noobish mistake, but I don't have the option to return them. I bought them in preparation for moving house and thought it would be a good idea to wait until I moved into the new house to set it all up.

Now its been more than a month :(

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

Solution
You dont need to do a seperate optical from XBOX.

Connect XBOX to TV with HDMI and TV will output all its audio to the soundbar.

To answer your quesiton on the 3.5 and "3d effects". The sound bar will likely attempt to guess the background noise and put those to the angled "surround" speakers. Most full recievers have this and call it Dolby Digital [something], which is just the receiver using a codec to guess/convert the 2.0 sginal into a 5.1 source.
You dont need to do a seperate optical from XBOX.

Connect XBOX to TV with HDMI and TV will output all its audio to the soundbar.

To answer your quesiton on the 3.5 and "3d effects". The sound bar will likely attempt to guess the background noise and put those to the angled "surround" speakers. Most full recievers have this and call it Dolby Digital [something], which is just the receiver using a codec to guess/convert the 2.0 sginal into a 5.1 source.

Solution

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I have went with the

Aux lead > Analogue to digital converter (had an aux connection on it so RCA adapter was not needed) > optical > soundbar

It had a lot of feedback when the converter was powered via the TV's usb port.

In the end I swapped it to Samsung charger and its working fine.

A huge improvement on the TV's speakers

Jeffery_6

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016