How do I connect a LG NB550A sound bar to my TV that doesn't have an optical out?

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I am a complete noob with home cinema and would greatly appreciate any help solving the problem I have got my self in.

I have brought this sound bar, (LG NB5530A) as I got a really good deal. (not from amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-NB5530A-Channel-Premium-Wireless/dp/B00E0E9F5S

which has

Inputs
1x optical in
or
Blue tooth

But I have brought this TV ( Toshiba 40l1333D) , as it was £229 in Argos
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-40L1333D-40in-LED-FULLHD-Television-/131117934157

Which has the following connections

Connectivity:
1 SCART socket, 2 USB ports and 3 HDMI sockets.
PC input socket.
Component video socket.
Composite.
Headphone socket.
S-Video socket.

Does anyone know how I connect this up without an optical out on the TV. I know this is a noobish mistake, but I don't have the option to return them. I bought them in preparation for moving house and thought it would be a good idea to wait until I moved into the new house to set it all up.

Now its been more than a month :(

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

Solution
You dont need to do a seperate optical from XBOX.

Connect XBOX to TV with HDMI and TV will output all its audio to the soundbar.

To answer your quesiton on the 3.5 and "3d effects". The sound bar will likely attempt to guess the background noise and put those to the angled "surround" speakers. Most full recievers have this and call it Dolby Digital [something], which is just the receiver using a codec to guess/convert the 2.0 sginal into a 5.1 source.
Ouch.

I cant find any conlusive information on your TV.

According to amazon you have digital coax output (will look like an rca plug), but i cant find any additional info that supports that.

Are there any connecitons that say output on the tv. If they are inputs then that does not help me much.

Either way you will need an active adapter to convert whatever it is that your TV can output to the toslink (optical) that your soundbar can recieve.

That has to be a gimic. You cant just convert light beams to electricty without an active adapter.
Probably like all of the HDMI to VGA cables you see on ebay and ohh what do you know, they dont work.

NO.

The adapter he needs would need to OUTPUT toslink. That adapter inputs toslink and outputs analog.

For RCA to Toslink he would want this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity%C2%AE-Digital-Converter--Receiver-Soundbar/dp/B00DHPHIJQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1412710225&sr=8-14&keywords=analog+to+digital+toslink

For Digital Coax to Toslink he would want this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Coax-Input-converter-Optical-Output/dp/B001CDFP54/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1412710525&sr=8-8&keywords=coax+to+spdif+toslink

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for all your replies.

My friend at work has said to be careful that my soundbar has the right type of optical input. Is there more than one type of optical cable ?.

Also , I found this about my soundbar

HDMI connectivity

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) carries both sound and picture in a single cable from your devices to your high definition TV. Now you can easily connect your games console, satellite box, Blu-ray or Home Cinema System via HDMI for a true high definition entertainment experience with none of the hassle.
*HDMI cable included.

Would My TV need a HDMI out ? , or are HDMI ports both ways ?.

My problem is that I have Chrome cast and x-box 1. So I dont have a set top box to route the sound through. or am I just being stupid.

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Ignore all the HDMI stuff. Your soundbar accepts only optical/bluetooth input. It comes with the appropriate optical cable.

TV audio jack > 3.5mm to RCA splitter > RCA to optical active converter > optical cable > soundbar

Your Chromecast and Xbox take up one HDMI port each. Thats all.

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Gutted Ill have to use the headphones port, Will it not be a massive drop in sound quality ?. The only reason I chose soundbar over PC speakers was because I was trying to avoid using the headphones port.

Can't believe there is so few options for audio out, starting to realise why the TV was so cheap now :(

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
That will work, although I'm not sure a PC speaker system will be able to match an expensive soundbar.

PC speakers are typically designed for smaller rooms and placed closer to the user.

Though if I were in your shoes and looking for an external sound device I'd get a PC speakers too.

Soundbar is a small upgrade over a 2.1 pc speakers. The soundbar has multiple drivers (speakers) and attempts to point them at an angle to kind of create the effect of surround sound (not a good replacement for true 5.1 or 7.1 though)

Onkyo makes an ok 2.1 home theater system model. At least then you would have normal inputs/outputs. If you want, if the store does allow returns you could tell us what systems they have and we can tell you what to get.

In regards to HDMI, IF AND ONLY IF both devices support it, there is audio return channel that allows you to pass audio irregardless of what is the input and what is the output. Now both devices have to have this standard and sometimes it can be a pain to set both devices to get this to work. If you keep the sound bard, just go with the active adapter to toslink/optical.

FYI, here is a breakdown on audio sources going from best to worst:
HDMI - 7.1 Surround Channel, Uncompressed Audio
Toslink - 5.1 Surround Sound, compressed Audio, data sent via light bursts
Digital Coax - same as Toslink but sent via normal electrical impulses, cable looks like an RCA
RCA Composite/Component - For the Audio portion these are the same. Stereo sound
3.5mm - Signal wise this is identical to RCA, any decent RCA cabe will be a thicker gauge, and RCA has shielding for each wire, thus 3.5 is "bellow" RCA in the list.

I have never heard of a second type of optical cable for home theater. He might be thinking/confused about Digital Coax and Toslink.

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for your reply.

Would using a soundbar through the headphones port lose the 3d features.

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I'm a little stuck with 2.1 as my girlfriend wants it to look nice and most 2.1 PC systems are like PC cases are too ugly to have on show.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent 2.1 set for sub £150

From what I Can see I will probably still get a better set using the sound bar as 2.1 as I got it for £149

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your help guys, I figure I can just get a optical splitter as well so my X-box can use the sound bar properly for games/dvds and Chromecast/freeview will have to do with the 3.5mm port on the TV.

Soon to have the most wired , wireless soundbar in the world!

TRENDING THREADS