How do I get rid of AVG (via Miro download)?

Tracey_80

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Sequence of events:

1) Downloaded Miro 6.0 for Windows (OS = 7 Home Edition) via green button on official site.
2) Used Custom Install to avoid AVG (toolbar, etc.).
3) Upon completion of Install, Miro requested to be allowed through Windows Firewall. I granted access. Surprise at what appeared on my screen along with Miro's UI! AVG had installed itself (anyway)!
4) Used Revo Uninstaller to rid my system of Miro. However, AVG remained!
5) Scanned AVG folder with MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. None of them identified its contents as 'malware'. :|
6) Made unsuccessful attempts to delete AVG folder, as a whole! Can neither access it through Win Task Mgr nor Revo!

Currently, AVG's UI is plastered onto my screen. It is not, however, listed as an Add-On to either of my browsers--SeaMonkey & Qupzilla. (What can I say? Firefox crashed on me months ago, and I sought a simpler alternative in browsers.)

How do I slay the AVG beast?

Tracey_80

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Thank you.
'Just tried Windows Uninstall. Nearly halfway along the progress bar, it froze for about 20 min., at which time I cancelled the action. Don't ask me, 'Why?', but I went back to the Task Mgr and ended the "AVG Installer Application" (avgmfapx.exe) process.
Thinking that another go with Windows Uninstall might be faster (??), I tried it again and learned the cost of my impatient action:
AVG2013 Uninstaller - Setup Error: "AVG product not installed, uninstallation request ignored. ... Context: Initialization."
'Guess that will happen when you kill the Installer process! But, I still have that program in the original AVG data folder. Even with the UI remaining onscreen, if I were to begin the Installation, again, could another Uninstall (for however long it takes) work?
Pardon me, but this is dizzying!

Tracey_80

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Thank you, also! (Exploring all my options, here!)
AVG has a "Remover Tool," available. I've read that it, too, is a "scam." I'm leery about downloading anything from them. I'll have to try it as a last resort only.

Tracey_80

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Good news! I got rid of the UI simply by shutting it off via the Task Mgr. All that remains is the Uninstall.

Assuming it's available direct from AVG's website, that's what I used to remove it. I had some issues with e-mail spoofing and in my testing, I needed to remove AVG in order to try another anti-virus program.

-Wolf sends

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Not a "scam", works just fine to remove the parts you missed. You should have used it first.

Tracey_80

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Final Report: After deactivating the UI in Task Mgr, I was able to get rid of the whole program using Windows Uninstall. I appreciate your concern, ex_bubblehead, and I hope that the only part 'missed' is what remained in the AVG folder after reboot--a .dat file called "buyInk" (of all things). EraserDrop took care of both the folder and its leftover content. A subsequent keyword-search of my system turned up nothing with "AVG" in the title. It looks clear from here!