How do I reformat a Dell Latitude C810?

Jusscurio

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
I want to reformat this laptop for my friend but she doesn't have any of the cd's that came with the laptop. I searched on the dell website and they said to press ctrl and f11 on the boot screen and that will bring up a menu to do it but then I realized that was only for Dimension and Inspirons. Any ideas of how I can reformat this thing?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
With out the OS, you're not going to be able to do it because formating will wipe everything out. If she's planning on using the machines for several more years, have her buy an OEM copy of XP for $90 and you can download all the drivers from Dell.

Jusscurio

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

Damn that sucks. I was thinking of using the cds that came with my Latitude D620. Her laptop only has windows 2000 professional so it doesnt have an xp cd key. If I use my xp cd from my laptop to install windows on hers and use my cd key what will that do. Will she still be able to use the computer normally? Will it have any negative side affects?

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
You can install XP on her system, but it will not pass windows activation, which will give you just 30 days of use until it is inoperable. At least that is how it worked for me last time I checked.

Jusscurio

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

Damn. Ya I don't want to chance that. Oh well I guess theres nothing I can do but tell her to buy XP or something. Thanks guys.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Curious why her version of 2000 doesn't have a CD key because mine does although it is a stand alone, i.e., didn't come with a computer. Look n the machine for the CD key. If you install XP on a second computer, ibleet is correct, you have to activate within 30 days, however, you can continue to use it but can't do updates and ultimately it runs like crap. I know a couple of kids running hacked versions of XP but personally I don't think it's worth the hassles.

Jusscurio

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

Oh it has a cd key on the bottom for windows 2000. We just don't have a cd with window's 2000 on it.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Misunderstood you. Looks like she'll have to get a version of XP unless she wants to run a hack. On the other hand she'll be able to install on future machines when her mobo "dies" as long as she's only running it on one machine at a time. $90 isn't chump change but given the OS is foundation for the rest of the machine softwareit's probably worth the money