Solved! How do I return my laptop to the original operating system (FreeDos)?

Dec 3, 2018
Hello, I need to return my laptop to the store i bought. I bought wrong version and now i want to return it to the original state, like when i bought it. It came with FreeDos, it was showing the same as it is on the picture which i found it on the internet.
jIP3jz5.png

Solution
just take it back to them, they can reload it fine. I don't think they will even care. he's right, you don't have the original Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files, but they do. so no sweat. all they would have to do is copy them to your boot drive and BAM, same output.

so, go into the shop with a flash drive and copy the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files! there you go. then copy them back to your laptop boot hdd root directory.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
I would look at this two ways.

Generally speaking, once you make changes to a system as far as OS, you may or may not have voided warranty (return) at that point.
In every case, when you return a computer they are going to wipe and reformat it anyway, so they may not care. That machine will not be sold as new, will be marked open box, or even sold to an "auction type" retailer, etc for resale.

If you were returning it for a like model they probably wouldn't care and just exchange it, especially big box stores...but in the case that you want to refund exchange you may have boned yourself when you changed anything.
I would take it back and hope for the best. See what they say/do.

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, i want to make my laptop freedos bootable, to install it on partition. But when it boots, it does not look the same as in the picture and i think they will be suspicious about something. That's why i am looking for the exact version.

rgd1101

Don't

what screen? you mean before of after you install freedos?

Dec 3, 2018

The screen was like this when i bought it
jIP3jz5.png

Now when i install freedos 1.2 it looks like this

install45.png

It is not just the version which is different. Most probably, out-of-the-box, your laptop has specific configuration files which made it display white-on-blue, etc etc etc. Unless you made backup of **these** configuration files, you can't bring them back. It's your fault you did not make a backup before installing whatever you've installed on top of it.

Your bet is for someone to buy laptop with FreeDos, and make copy of everything before wiping it out.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
just take it back to them, they can reload it fine. I don't think they will even care. he's right, you don't have the original Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files, but they do. so no sweat. all they would have to do is copy them to your boot drive and BAM, same output.

so, go into the shop with a flash drive and copy the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files! there you go. then copy them back to your laptop boot hdd root directory.

Solution