How do I set my laptop display to dGPU instead of iGPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no utility in the BIOS you may need to use a utility to switch cards. Make sure also to enable the performance power profile in the control panel. You might already be using the PCI graphics but are having it throttled by the power plan. Also make sure that the Turbo boost mode is enabled in the BIOS so the CPU is not being kept at base clocks.

This might be useful too:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358553-33-670m-gt70-games-running-poorly-framerate

Also, make sure the latest NVidia drivers are installed. :

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79893/en-us

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

No my games run fine. It's just that there are some games I can't even play on my second monitor.

This is what I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpf9G0Oqs0A

I'm pretty sure when you have a monitor plugged into your laptop, you have the option to play BF4 on your other monitor right?

Ok, you can't use both adapters at the same time. And if you have multiple monitors connected, you can designate what is displayed where, including using the laptop display AND a second display, but right clicking the desktop, selecting screen resolution, and changing the options in the desktop display dialogue that appears. You can designate the primary display, secondary display, whether to display only on one monitor or both and whether to extend the displays, which is what you generally want to do if you have two monitors that are not in an eyefinity type configuration is select the extend option.

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not trying to do a Eyefinity setup, I just want some games to be displayed ONLY on my second monitor and I want to do this ingame. The reason why I want to play games ONLY on my second monitor because it utilizes 144hz, which is really fluid. But the problem is, some games like BF4 can't switch to play ONLY on my second monitor. My games run fine, I updated my Nvidia drivers, tried disabling and uninstalling Intel HD Graphics, (which for some reason reinstalls after I boot back up), and set to High Performance and none of these worked.

Ok, to start with I didn't say ANYTHING about you doing an eyefinity setup. Just the opposite in fact. I said an extended display is generally what you want to configure when you DON'T want an eyefinity type setup.

Secondly, like I said, if you right click on the desktop and go into the display properties by selecting "screen resolution", you can configure your monitors any way you want. You can choose to duplicate the displays, extend the displays or display the desktop on only one monitor or the other. If you select the secondary monitor as the only monitor to display, I don't see what the game has to do with it. It has to display on the designated display.

Furthermore, if you choose the extended display option, you can drag the game window onto the extended display for playing on that display while retaining the laptop display as the main desktop.

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

That's what I did when I dragged the game to the second monitor, but BF4 acts like if the window is on the main laptop and then things start getting out of hand and then the BF4 window starts to glitch.

I'll say this again, Battlefield 4 NORMALLY should give you the option to select which monitor you want to play the game on, (as shown in the video), but in this case, BF4 doesn't recognize I have my second monitor that I could play the game with. I rather not want to duplicate a display as I have other windows in my other monitor I need to look at, (especially when I'm streaming.) I prefer if I could do this ingame instead. It seems like my laptop display is running from Intel HD Graphics while my second monitor is running from my 870m.

Status
Not open for further replies.