Solved! How do I sim unlock a cricket phone when I bought the phone at a yard sale and cricket does not provide service in my area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

What Cricket is doing is perfectly legal. Many carriers sell phones for a loss to bring in customers, they make their money back on the service.. These phones are locked to that carrier and either must be paid off or be used for a certain amount of time before they are eligible to be unlocked. This is why and unlocked phone costs more than a locked phone, the unlocked phone is not subsidized so you pay full price.

If you really want to use that phone on a different network your options are
1. Pay for 4 months of service you can't...

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from giznsug : "Changing carriers for om cricket Wireless to cell one"

contact cell one to see if your phone is compatible

bignastyid

Splendid
Please reply in the forum not in PM
"From: giznsug

Sent on: May 1, 2018 8:16 PM

I have contacted them all they tell me is I need 4 more months of service but how do or call an I afford this when their own company won't provide service where I live"

The phone was likely still under a service contract when the previous owner ended(or quit paying) the service. I suggest next time you either make sure the phone has already been unlocked, or is eligible to be unlocked, or is atleast locked to the carrier you plan on using before you buy it.

May 1, 2018
So even if I cannot use the service I would have to pay for it plus pay for a different phone and service? That is not ethical and certainly can't be legal. There's got to be a way to get his handled.

bignastyid

Splendid

What Cricket is doing is perfectly legal. Many carriers sell phones for a loss to bring in customers, they make their money back on the service.. These phones are locked to that carrier and either must be paid off or be used for a certain amount of time before they are eligible to be unlocked. This is why and unlocked phone costs more than a locked phone, the unlocked phone is not subsidized so you pay full price.

If you really want to use that phone on a different network your options are
1. Pay for 4 months of service you can't use and have Cricket unlock the phone.
2. Ask cricket of there is a simple fee or ETF that can be paid to unlock the phone.

It would likely be simpler and possibly cheaper to just get a phone through the service provider you want to use or buy an unlocked phone compatible with their network. Then sell the Cricket phone to someone who wants to and can use Cricket.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from giznsug : "Sim+network unlocking a huawei ascend xt2"

Status
Not open for further replies.