How do I stop Netflix reading my Social Network cookies?

PawLurk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I'm using Firefox Mozilla, I've got Don't Track Me etc installed, but Netflix is still getting in at my cookies, and using that to suggest things people on my friends lists like - even though my social networks aren't linked to Netflix.

Is there any way to prevent Netflix from doing this, other than continually deleting my cookies and not logging into both at the same time?

~ UPDATE:

I have spoken to Netflix about this, and they claim "it shouldn't do that".

Somehow their software is magically skimming cookie information of its own accord.

They've had me send over screenshots showing that my facebook people are being used to suggest things, even though the accounts are not, and never have been, linked.

Solution

You'd have to ask Facebook. I don't think they'd agree though :)

For what it's worth, there's no way for Netflix to read cookies from your social networking sites. They may be able to get the data via certain APIs if you've allowed them, or they might display a social networking widget that makes it look like they have access to this information (when in fact the data is being loaded from the social network in a frame), but they will certainly never read cookies from those sites. Cookies are sent by your browser, and it will only ever send cookies for that domain. If it did otherwise then this would be an indescribably...

PawLurk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Turns out it was a facebook app option not being disabled, and wasn't on the Netflix end.

Is it too much to ask to be able to opt out of being stalked, without them sneaking more options in?

randomizer

Distinguished

You'd have to ask Facebook. I don't think they'd agree though :)

For what it's worth, there's no way for Netflix to read cookies from your social networking sites. They may be able to get the data via certain APIs if you've allowed them, or they might display a social networking widget that makes it look like they have access to this information (when in fact the data is being loaded from the social network in a frame), but they will certainly never read cookies from those sites. Cookies are sent by your browser, and it will only ever send cookies for that domain. If it did otherwise then this would be an indescribably serious security vulnerability.

Solution