How do you upgrade (install a new gpu) a gpu in a laptop?

Steetoh

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I've been doing research on gpu's in general, but when it comes to laptops, I'm stumped. Now I have the laptop: XPS 15 (L502x) and I am currently looking into upgrading my internal graphics card. I would really like to upgrade my GeForce GT 540M to a GeForce GTX 770M or a GeForce GTX 780M if possible. Now if they don't work or whatnot, I would go with a high end AMD gpu for my laptop.

Now I just really need your opinion on this, what will work? Also, please tell me how exactly I could upgrade this. Thank you for your time.

Solution
Not on all unit, its rare to see an actual separate card

Take your unit apart to confirm, i have done work on similar units to yours - all integrated into the motherboard.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
most GPU's are directly attached to the mainboard and cant be upgraded, if there not your limited by power/heat (power pack, VRM on the mainboard, HSF not large enough to cope etc), if not by that then your limited by CPU performance

if you want an upgrade path get a desktop, otherwise a new high end gaming laptop

Steetoh

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

I have seen that you can upgrade them, it's not as easy as a desktop though, which I will be investing in soon! But I'm still looking for the right answer out there, some people do upgrade, I am jsut trying to figure out how easy or difficult it would be.

Steetoh

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

I will take a look inside, thanks.