How Does the 3DS Work Without 3D Glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
So you get half the horizontal resolution in stereoscopic 3D mode?

I wonder if this like the system they use in some of the latest cars to allow the driver to see a sat-nav screen while the passenger sees a DVD?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why all the infatuation with 3D lately? I would much prefer high quality 2D, anything 3D I've ever seen is a waste of money and gives me a headache.

G

I predict success on par with Nintendo's previous 3D effort, the venerable Virtual Boy.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Everyone assumed it was a parallax barrier. No news here.

I'm not convinced the angle problem is moot on a tiny display.

I'm pretty sure it will be VERY FUSSY to what angle you view the display. Which will mean you'll have to keep your arms holding this little "gameboy" very still, and keep your head and arms in the perfect position.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's a great job for Nintendo!!!!
3D technology is a great move!

If they coming fast they'll stop iPhone progress (because iPhone doesn't have this technology)(happy ending).

I hope they'll also coming with a real 1080p console supporting 3D. ( PS3 is already on the way for the 3D technology. And the Xbox360 ? No idea. Xbox360 hardware probably doesn't support 3D).

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Everyone assumed it was a parallax barrier. No news here.I'm not convinced the angle problem is moot on a tiny display.I'm pretty sure it will be VERY FUSSY to what angle you view the display. Which will mean you'll have to keep your arms holding this little "gameboy" very still, and keep your head and arms in the perfect position.[/citation]

I thought I heard somewhere it tracks where the users eyes or head is at to work with different viewing angles/distances. Could be wrong...

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Next for Nintendo: 3DS XL. A bigger 3DS![/citation]
Nah, it's going to be the 3DS Max, haha.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
The military has used lasers to write 'Head Up Display' information directly to the retina before. Seems it would be the most effective way of doing 3D to me. It is not like this technology does not exist. Of course the military version required a helmet. Eye tracking hardware allows the disabled to type using eye movement. Their is no reason you couldn't have 8 of these on a console for a 4 player game without dividing screen real-estate. Commercial versions of laser projectors already exist.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Wow, only 3-4 months after 3D Avatar fever and everything is getting its 3D version. Its spreading a little too fast and nobody really has the equipment to buy the equipment.

To what I think, holding the DS in perfect still position in front of your face is near impossible. Those games where you have to move the stylus very fast are some that arent easy for 3D. And the fact that you have to hold the DS with 1 hand hold the stylus in the other while resting your palm on the DS makes it even harder. The 3DS will need super cool graphics to make the 3D worth seeing. But I doubt that they will focus on graphics better than gamecube on this handheld. Gamecube graphics are good for handhelds but are far behind whatever Sony has planned, and we have to be sure that Sony is throwing a new 3D capable handhels with HD capability and more features than this DS. The price of the 3DS will also be HIGH, due to the fact that 3D is expensive, their using more expensive graphics, new tech, and the always high release price. I know its gonna suck, but its still gonna be a success, just like the Wii.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]So you get half the horizontal resolution in stereoscopic 3D mode?I wonder if this like the system they use in some of the latest cars to allow the driver to see a sat-nav screen while the passenger sees a DVD?[/citation]

Woa, thats sick. My car makes you put it in park to watch dvd's lol.

I wonder if they could auto-correct the viewing angle of the screen by using the accelerometers you find in cell phones today. If the pitch of the DS is slightly downward then the screen needs to bend light differently, or whatever it's actually doing to give each eye a different picture.

Regardless, leave it to nintendo to actually "do it right" with new technology. The virtua boy was a flop (and I had one), but consider the power glove. Nintendo finally went back to motion detection and got it right with the wii. So hopefully round 2 will give nintendo another chance to get 3d right. If anyone can do it they sure can.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]The military has used lasers to write 'Head Up Display' information directly to the retina before. Seems it would be the most effective way of doing 3D to me. It is not like this technology does not exist. Of course the military version required a helmet. Eye tracking hardware allows the disabled to type using eye movement. Their is no reason you couldn't have 8 of these on a console for a 4 player game without dividing screen real-estate. Commercial versions of laser projectors already exist.[/citation]

lol wat? The military never used lasers to actually put images on your RETINA for god's sake. Every HUD mounted display system has always projected the imagery on a reflective glass screen, whether it's the monocle HUD in the apache helicopter or the full helmet cam in the f-35.

G

Thanks Nintendo.

But..About you come up with innovation where it is needed? Like an innovative plan to get better games on your consoles and better developers?

Now that's a innovative idea worth doing! :)

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Wow this site is really behind nintendo wouldn't use something this complicated and expensive. most likely it'll be head tracking 3d without glasses has already been achieved on the normal ds with head tracking using the DSi camera. This site needs to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.