Status
Not open for further replies.

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a VR headset. I don't know which one to get yet. How does VR even work? Can I play all my games in VR or just some? If I can't play all my games with the headset then why can't I just use it like any other display? My budget is $300 max.

Solution
Taking it from your specs, your budget looks quite flexible as I see that 1080ti :pt1cable:
Anyway, VR uses images made by light similiar to 3D, but it renders that 1920x1080 all around you. Well, some games are made to play in VR, some games have patches, and some games have mods. VR Headset companies are money hungry, which is a reason why you cant use it like any other display, but, it would also be small for 1080p on a VR headset.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
no vr headset i know worht to buy cost that ammount you mention

vr is two displays, one for each eye, running at a specific refresh rate and resolution

form most gpus is effectlively like run dual monitors so the gpu must be strong and you must set the games to the right options to pla them

some games are vr friendly and others have not support

you can use it as a monitor, but why use it for that if you already have a monitor?

Sakkura

Distinguished
Games have to be designed for VR to run directly in VR mode.

There are workarounds though. VorpX is a program that lets you run regular games in VR. But it can take a lot of manual configuration to get it working right, and sometimes it may not work at all. Plus games that were not originally made for VR may just not be fun or comfortable to play in VR.

Of course, you can run a virtual desktop app in VR, and then run games on a virtual monitor inside your VR space, but there's really no point; it's just a lower-resolution monitor that you wear on your face.

Current high-quality VR headsets break your budget. But Microsoft's partnered headsets are targeting prices as low as $300, so you may want to keep an eye on those. Coming later this year.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
theonerm2

######################
## Do You Want a VR System? ##
######################
Here is what you need to do...
Go onto Steam and look at the VR games available. (sort by Top Rated, as there is a LOT of quick-dev games now.)
Next! Go onto PSVR and look at their list of games.

Is there something there that makes you want to buy VR?

Great! Welcome to the VR world... now let's just look at this statement...

###########################
## Can you afford a VR System? #######
###########################

>> " My budget is $300 max."

SoooOoooOoo.. yeaaah...
-- PSVR starts at like $350.
-- The rift is $500 (starting)
-- Vive is $800.

## ANSWER ##
You cannot afford a advanced VR system.
If you have a smartphone, you can try one of those experiences.. but it will not be the same.
Sign up for "some" websites and they will send you a Google Cardboard system in the mail. Those sites will not be posted here. **gasp!**

Have a good day! :)

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for thoroughly answering my question with an article.

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Never mind. I have to spend my money on a new hard drive now because my biggest drive failed. And to make matters worse I didn't have most of my data backed up. All of the really important stuff was backed up but everything else like my games and such that can be re-downloaded wasn't backed up.

Graybush

Estimable

I'm sorry to hear that your hard drive failed! I ended up getting a Network Attached Storage (that's also backed on a cloud network) in order to save my data.

DxalradoFTW

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Taking it from your specs, your budget looks quite flexible as I see that 1080ti :pt1cable:
Anyway, VR uses images made by light similiar to 3D, but it renders that 1920x1080 all around you. Well, some games are made to play in VR, some games have patches, and some games have mods. VR Headset companies are money hungry, which is a reason why you cant use it like any other display, but, it would also be small for 1080p on a VR headset.

Solution

Sakkura

Distinguished

You can use a VR headset as a display, including the ability to run an arbitrary number of virtual desktops in VR. It just looks pretty bad because the headsets have a low resolution compared to how much of your field of view they occupy.

Also I wouldn't call them money hungry since they're investing a lot of money into a market with uncertain return.

Status
Not open for further replies.