Discussion How Effective Is The 1080p@60Hz Wireless Transmitter HDMI Dongle/Adapter/Extender 100′ IR as a Chromecast Alternative?

jason wynngard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
As per another thread on screen mirroring, I'm seeking a screen mirroring device that doesn't require navigating via cellphone, and/or an app. I came across the device noted in the title of this thread. Has anyone used it, and if so, how effective is it? It's basically a wireless device to device (transmitter to a receiver) setup. I'd love to see experts in Tom's Guide evaluate it, but will happily appreciate anyone doing so. I'd like some user or experienced input before spring to buy it.

Wireless video is not great, effective range is short, line of sight and not good for smooth video. From your other thread you are using a laptop, which are by design portable. Bring it to the place you want to use it, connect it with an HDMI cable to the screen.

jason wynngard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
First and foremost, THANK YOU for replying. Your suggestion makes plenty of sense, all the same, I'm hoping to avoid moving my laptop. It was originally built for gaming. It's a HEAVY 17.3" thing hooked up to various components that are no fun to unhook, then rehook just to view a movie or football game now and then. Plus I am hoping to mirror the screen to both the living room 65" TV, and occasionally to my projector to view media at night outside the house. Regarding the wireless transmitter dongle I asked about, I came to the very conclusion you outlined. Instead, I am now looking at the ScreenBeam MyWirelessTV2 Wireless HD Transmitter & Receiver system. Their signal passes through walls and claim a 150 foot reach. I'm getting input from users to determine if I will buy it or not. Your reply indicates a rather informed person, so I'd appreciate your take on this system, assuming you have experience with it.

First and foremost, THANK YOU for replying. Your suggestion makes plenty of sense, all the same, I'm hoping to avoid moving my laptop. It was originally built for gaming. It's a HEAVY 17.3" thing hooked up to various components that are no fun to unhook, then rehook just to view a movie or football game now and then. Plus I am hoping to mirror the screen to both the living room 65" TV, and occasionally to my projector to view media at night outside the house. Regarding the wireless transmitter dongle I asked about, I came to the very conclusion you outlined. Instead, I am now looking at the ScreenBeam MyWirelessTV2 Wireless HD Transmitter & Receiver system. Their signal passes through walls and claim a 150 foot reach. I'm getting input from users to determine if I will buy it or not. Your reply indicates a rather informed person, so I'd appreciate your take on this system, assuming you have experience with it.

Get a tiny PC setup with HDMI like a Fire Stick or a Compute Stick . They make them with Windows, Android or the custom ones like Roku or Fire from Amazon. Will work connected to an HDMI port on a projector or TV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G1CCWN...96130600-UUwpUdUnU40656YYh-20&geniuslink=true