How Good is W10 Security at Real-time Malware Protection?

ManOfArc

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I'm wondering if W10's built-in virus & threat protection is adequate, or if I need to use something like Malwarebytes to catch real-time attacks. I have Malwarebytes (real-time) protection on my other machines, but it is a grandfathered-in life-time license that allows for 3 machines. For this 4th machine I would need to get a new license, and now they charge yearly.

So basically, I'm wondering if I even need Malwarebytes anymore; if W10 has become good enough.

Solution
So, WD (Windows Defender) is not yet good enough to be used as stand alone. It is only anti-virus software and not anti-malware. While Microsoft did make significant changes to WD and it is improving on a weekly basis at quite a fast pace, it still is going to be sometime before it becomes a viable stand alone feature. Windows defender does protect against the majority of trojans and viruses, but it doesn't deal with malware and 0day infections / elaborate viruses.

When running any antivirus, you need anti-malware. Most paid software provides both, which is why it would be beneficial to get Malwarebytes, but not crucial. A little bit of common sense, knowledge and the free version is good enough. If you are not aware of which sites...

mdd1963

Distinguished
it's entirely adequate if you stay off of shady malware-ridden websites, and do not watch or download any infected files...

If you play with/at streaming movie locations, you'd better at least get Origin Ublock, a popup-blocker....

I've used SecureAPlus successfully, it tends to block first, ask questions later, working froma whitelist principle of allowing you to confirm if something is safe or not...; works well.... (scans with numerous known AV cloud engines)

ManOfArc

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Well... if I did that I wouldn't need any malware, adware, virus protection. The problem is I don't always know if the sites are shady.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
So, WD (Windows Defender) is not yet good enough to be used as stand alone. It is only anti-virus software and not anti-malware. While Microsoft did make significant changes to WD and it is improving on a weekly basis at quite a fast pace, it still is going to be sometime before it becomes a viable stand alone feature. Windows defender does protect against the majority of trojans and viruses, but it doesn't deal with malware and 0day infections / elaborate viruses.

When running any antivirus, you need anti-malware. Most paid software provides both, which is why it would be beneficial to get Malwarebytes, but not crucial. A little bit of common sense, knowledge and the free version is good enough. If you are not aware of which sites are malicious, use can use ScanURL and Virus Total to scan your links. Avoid shady files (Torrents mostly) from unknown sources, avoid spam emails, follow a couple of Malware researchers on Twitter to keep yourself updated on new threats, and you will be good to go. All you need then is weekly scans. If you are worried, you could get a free version of 3rd party anti-virus software on top of that.

Solution

mdd1963

Distinguished

If it's offering you something to watch /DL for free , or insists you download a 'player' or codec' firs, it is nearly always malware plagued....if you hoping an AV will allow you to D/L crap with near impunity, you are headed for disappointment, and might want some to investigate some good backup imaging software for the needed quick system restores later...