How hot is hot for a laptop?

miztrniceguy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
my wife has an ASUS A73E-AH51 http:// that sits on a CoolerMaster CM-19 Storm chill pad.

It runs around 50C most of the time, but when plugged into LAN instead of wireless runs a bit over 70C. What is too hot? What is normal. The first time I asked Asus they said 50-70 was normal, then they said 70-90 is normal. When should I be concerned?

My laptop idle around 29-34.once i start streaming video,go online it goes up 47-50.this is without a cooler.with a laptop cooler i could eliminate a few degrees.my gpu idle at 32-36.if ur laptop idle at 50,that is hot.at 70c it would be when i a running games,although it didn't really hit 70c.the only thing that can drive my emp to 70c is crysis 3.also this depends on the heatsink and cooling system of ur laptop.70-90 isnt really normal.90c is actually hot.most laptop tj maxx at 105c.i would open up ur laptop and start cleaning dust off and reapply thermal paste/grease.

50C is about normal. I think my 14" Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 runs at 50C - 55C after about an hour of normal usage. Hitting 70C when running wired is a bit unusual though. You might want to consider a cooling pad for the laptop.

He apparently already have a cooler pad.what u said is true hitting 70c on wired does seems odd.its cleaning and thermal greasing time.

miztrniceguy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

This laptop sits on a chillpad at all times. At her office it runs hotter than in her home office. The ambient temperature at home is much cooler than in her home office. At home it does use an external monitor and keyboard. I am thinking that is why it runs much cooler than at her office where the only external device is wireless mouse. I will have to look at things here in the winter when there are heaters going. I just don't want it to be overheating. It is not overclocked or anything. It is stock except for the upgrade to Win 7 Pro

Try and clean the air vents with air can if you dont want to tear down ur laptop.

miztrniceguy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

Did that already. We do it fairly regularly actually.

Replace the thermal grease already?if not it time to do so.still its odd that you will run as high as 70c on wired.

miztrniceguy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

No, I haven't replaced the grease. I clean the vents regularly.