How is the Lenovo y510p in 2016?

cpsuperprosecrets

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I am saving up for a new gaming laptop (yes, I know, desktops are better) but I do move around a lot and a laptop would be a lot nicer. I know the y510p came out in 2012, how good is it now? Any other alternatives to it?

Solution
The 4th gen i7-4700MQ is still a very capable CPU. 5th gen Intel CPUs are on average about 5% more powerful vs. 4th gen Intel CPUs assuming the same clockspeed. The same can be said about 6th gen vs 5th gen Intel CPUs. So a 6th gen Core i7 with the same clockspeed is generally about 10% more powerful than the 4th gen version.

The nVidia GT 755m is about equal to a nVidia 845m which generally makes it a little more powerful than the nVidia 940m. All of those dedicated GPUs are considered to be mainstream GPUs. If you are looking to play games released in the past year, then you will be mostly limited to low / medium settings at 1366x728 or 1600x900 resolution depending on the game in order to get 40+ FPS.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Dont buy anything that old cant play any modern games. If your going to get a laptop buy a expensive one, the more money you put in a laptop the longer it will stay a top performer. Not as true with desktops as its easier to upgrade. And desktops perform better to start with.

The 4th gen i7-4700MQ is still a very capable CPU. 5th gen Intel CPUs are on average about 5% more powerful vs. 4th gen Intel CPUs assuming the same clockspeed. The same can be said about 6th gen vs 5th gen Intel CPUs. So a 6th gen Core i7 with the same clockspeed is generally about 10% more powerful than the 4th gen version.

The nVidia GT 755m is about equal to a nVidia 845m which generally makes it a little more powerful than the nVidia 940m. All of those dedicated GPUs are considered to be mainstream GPUs. If you are looking to play games released in the past year, then you will be mostly limited to low / medium settings at 1366x728 or 1600x900 resolution depending on the game in order to get 40+ FPS.

Solution

Greetings, cpsuperprosecrets:

1. According to Lenovo's US page, the Y510p model has been discontinued. Instead, they suggest this Y700 line-up:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/

2. I went through the customization feature and ended up at $1500 for a half-decent gaming version (15.6" Touch/4K, i7 Skylake, 4GB GPU, 16GB RAM). Whatever you decide, when it comes to Lenovo laptops, avoid TN panels - they are absolutely useless.

3. As much as I would love to 'sell you' a Lenovo, I don't consider any of them actual gaming machines. They may have the specs to support their claim, but if you look at the competition (e.g. ASUS and MSI) you'll find dedicated gaming features starting with the UEFI, factory-installed software designed for gaming tweaks and monitoring. And in some cases, the keyboards are much more gaming-oriented in terms of ergonomics and tactile feedback. This just isn't available with Lenovos, at least not yet.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

cpsuperprosecrets

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

I love Lenovo to be honest. My U410 touch is still holding up incredibly well :) What are the MSI and Asus alternatives to the y510p?

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Lol you got a tn panel for the y50... mine came with the good panel but I got it from best buy hands down was superior to any other laptop panel I've used. And also the keyboard is one of the best I've ever used on a gaming laptop. Lenovo may be newer to making gaming machines but they have totally beat the competition in most things minus the few bad design flaws with the y50 series.

Y50 has hinges that crack, which happens on almost every machine in the series and a shit battery which is under the entire bottom panel and is almost non replaceable.

I mean it is the thinnest gaming laptop ever a lot thinner than the competition and that's nothe a good thing. Heat kills :(

Hello, Purpletalon:

Yes, 'rookie mistake', I know! But now I effectively have a completely new machine - that's how big the difference is. I've never gotten used to the keyboard on the Y50. I just can't find a comfortable position for my hands - especially when gaming, which means I have to use an external keyboard. Battery life, which was below-average to begin with, has taken a major hit with the new IPS panel - well, you win some, you lose some!

The Y50 is still very sturdy and exudes great build quality - the hinges show no signs of wear, so maybe I'm lucky in that department.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I refunded mine when the hinges started popping when opening the laptop I was absolutely terrified. I have a Thinkpad t440 and the plastic near the hinge has cracked and the crack is just getting worse with use and its annoying. Lenovo has started cheaping out but its still better than most companies i just put in a support request they are coming to my house to repair the damage. Since its a manufacturing flaw.