How long does it take for a laptop battery to die?

wellsbbs

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
How long does it take for a laptop battery to die?
I bought a brand new laptop. I got a top of the line, windows 7 laptop that cost $1000. I bought it 2 months ago and I love it but now the battery is shot. If it's plugged in, it works. But if I unplug it, it says I have 10% battery life. Why is my battery already shot on a brand new laptop? I can't take it back because I bought it in a different state and I moved and no longer have the box or anything. How much does the batteries cost and where do I buy them? :wahoo:

Toshiba Laptop Battery Fujitsu Laptop Battery Hitachi Laptop Battery

thatguychuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Most batteries are rated in cycles. Without consulting technical material I couldn't tell you how long your specific batter should have lasted, but it sounds like you got a bum one anyway. I would contact the store you bought it from, or try the brand support.

Most batteries are rated in cycles. So a battery might be rated to fully charge and discharge 300 times or so before performance starts to degrade. Aside from a manufacturing defect, which you appear to have. I've seen "2 years" thrown around a lot, but I've had some last less, some last more. It can change with usage.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Be careful of cheap eBay batteries. I've used them, and they work, but never last as long; expect to replace them every year or so. OTOH, you can go to a place like Batteries Plus, pay a good bit more, but then have a good battery that may be better and last longer than the original (i.e. a good, working original, which you may not have gotten).

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Regardless of where you bought the laptop. The manufacturer of the laptop will offer the warranty. So long as you have a receipt (sometimes you don't even need one), just contact the manufacturer. They should offer you a RMA service for your laptop battery.

As far as life of batteries goes, your battery died due to some premature failed cells (these are multi-celled lithium batteries). Without premature failures, batteries can last up to a few years (tops) if the batteries are kept at >50% charge most of the time, and the charging circuitry doesn't aggressively charge the cells. A constant temperature (around ambient room temperatures) environment lengthens the battery life too. I think in this area, the automotive manufacturers have done a lot of research to lengthen the lifespan of their hybrid-electric vehicles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michael@Jensen@WK Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 1
memo1402 Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 1
plouat Laptop Tech Support 0
msahin Laptop Tech Support 1
Shootingstar007 Laptop Tech Support 3
X Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 2