How long will the laptop last?

LShun

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hello,

Can I ask a question? Typically, how long will the laptop last under these conditions?

The laptop is MSI GE60-2PE Apache Pro 293MY and it has the following specifications:

Intel Core i7-4710HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3 RAM
HGST 1TB 7200rpm HDD

I normally use it for:

50 minutes of gaming ( Dota 2, Counter Strike Global Offensive etc ) and then shut down computer for rest for at least 30 minutes. ( Temperature normally hovers between 70 and 85 degrees )
or
Browsing for no more than 1 hour and then let the computer rest. ( Temperature around 40 degrees )
or
Movie making and graphic editing for at least 1 hour and no more than 3 hours and then shut down for a period of time. ( Temperature varies: from 50 degrees to 86 degrees )

Can I ask you based on your experience how long will the laptop last until it develops a problem ( HDD failure, RAM failure, transistor melt and others ).

Thank you!

Solution
those kinds of failures are pretty hard to predict. In general the hotter it's running for prolonged periods will increase the chances of failure but doesn't guarantee a faster failure compared to a lightly used unit. There are simply too many variables.

The best thing you can do is use it however you need it and to help it stay as cool as possible by keeping it free of dust, don't obstruct vents by using it on carpet or on a blanket and generally keep it clean.

It's usually luck of the draw but even when used for gaming on a regular basis, a gaming laptop ought to last a while- you will probably want to upgrade due to video card performance before the laptop actually becomes unusable. Think maybe 3+ years. I'm still using my...

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
That's absolutely impossible to predict.

Parts do not have a predefined lifespan and can fail straight from the factory or in 10 years. They're also affected by use, the environment, and many other conditions you cannot control.

If you got a good laptop then that particular laptop (or any laptop for that matter) can last for 7-8 years at least.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
those kinds of failures are pretty hard to predict. In general the hotter it's running for prolonged periods will increase the chances of failure but doesn't guarantee a faster failure compared to a lightly used unit. There are simply too many variables.

The best thing you can do is use it however you need it and to help it stay as cool as possible by keeping it free of dust, don't obstruct vents by using it on carpet or on a blanket and generally keep it clean.

It's usually luck of the draw but even when used for gaming on a regular basis, a gaming laptop ought to last a while- you will probably want to upgrade due to video card performance before the laptop actually becomes unusable. Think maybe 3+ years. I'm still using my 2012 macbook pro i7 retina 3 years on and it's just fine. And as an engineer, I' probably push it harder than most people.

Solution