How much data does SKYPE use?

Michaelcortez

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of shopping for a cell phone with T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T. However, not all of them offer unlimited data.

I need to use my phone for Skype to TEXT only and not for phone calls or video calls. I would be using it to chat/send IM's to friends online for about 8-9 hours a day.

Does anyone her know how much data I would need for using Skype Text only for 8-9 hours M-F on a smartphone?

I plan on getting either the Samsung Galaxy S4, Note II or the newest phone coming out Note III.

Thank you for your time and really appreciate help with my question.

jinayhvora

Honorable
May 28, 2013
u don't really worry about data costs after buying that kind of a phone :p
but anyways I'm on WhatsApp the whole day and it takes about 10-15MB per day max with all the media, so text only should never be more than 10

rockdenim

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Skype uses a dynamic codec, so it will sense what connection you have and use the best codec for optimal voice quality. When I tested this some time ago, it uses less bandwidth on a 56k dialup & 64K ISDN, than it would on a 4mb ADSL line.

Michaelcortez

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hey thanks Jinay and Rock for replying to my thread :). I figured it would be a good idea to ask here because I tried to call sprint, tmobile, Verizon etc, and all they keep telling me is "Oh your gonna need a ton of data so you should get an unlimited plan, or you will need 10GB+ of data for Skype text"

Kevin Douglas

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
Skype uses a decent bandwidth and I don't think you should much bother about the amount of data Skype will use as the bandwidth usage will get adjusted accordingly. But if you are planning to transfer large files or want to have desktop sharing, then I would recommend using RHUB`s web conferencing appliance.