How much should i charge my laptop and should i leave it plugged in?

Abdelrahman_7

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
when i charge the laptop's battery do i remove the plug once it hits 100 % and then when it's near empty i plug it in again and keep doing this over and over again? or do i leave it plugged ? and by this will no problems happen to the battery ? i just want to know what's the best way because i use the laptop for many hours and the battery doesn't stay that long so i'll keep plugging and removing alot .. also it used to say not charging when it reaches 100 % which made me feel better because i think that means that it knows it's full so it's not ruining anything .. but now it says "fully charged" instead of "not charging" i don't know what changed it so if anyone knows the best way to charge it and what are the things that would harm the battery and if i am doing anything wrong by keeping it plugged .. it's an MSI GE72 6GF APACHE PRO

Solution
In that condition, keep the adapter connected. If you constantly remove the adapter when the battery is fully charged and use the laptop until the charge is low, you shorten the life of the battery.
Hi, if you know you will use your laptop in one place for a long period of time, it is better to remove the battery when it is fully charged, and use the laptop with just the adapter. The battery cells do not like the heat of the laptop, so if you remove the battery you will extend its life. You can use the adapter with the battery when you know you're going to another place with the laptop turned on.

Abdelrahman_7

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

i wanted to remove the battery but the battery is inside the laptop i'd have to unscrew it and i don't want to mess with that

Steve McGrossi

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Hello, you should leave the battery discharge up to 20% and charge up to 80% that will give Lithium batteries their maximum charge and discharge number. (Yes leaving up to 100% will give less life to the battery, and leaving it always plugged in may make your battery, within the year, unable to hold the laptop.)

If you are using it, keep it plugged in. If it's already fully charged or nearly fully charged and you are done for the night, unplug it. That's all I would do. At some point you gotta ask, did you buy a laptop to make your life easier, or did you buy it to be obsessing about it.

Steve McGrossi

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
No that is not the way. Lithium batteries are not meant to be plugged in continuously. And it depends on what use is the person doing. If you keep your laptop to one place and only, then just remove the battery from the back, and leave the laptop plugged in. If not, discharge until 20% and charge up to 80%

I know what you said, but when you have an integrated battery, what do you do?

My point is that the way I do it has only caused 7% battery wear in 14 months, which is quite negligible IMO.
Not worth worrying about. Especially if the laptop doesn't have a removable battery. Plus, by running on mains only with the battery removed, you lose the advantage of the battery acting as a UPS if the power should happen to fail while in the middle of an important task.

Steve McGrossi

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014

Then I guess, you have to watch your battery percentage, if you really want it to last the longest.

Steve McGrossi

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014

Actually it is something that should be worried about. My laptop was always plugged in and in 7 months my battery can last 15 seconds the longest! Now if you have an integrated battery then, as i said before, you have to watch your battery percentage, if you really want it to last the longest.

geofelt

Distinguished
What happens to a battery when plugged in will vary by the laptop vendor.
Possibly you will get an authoritative answer from them directly.
Once charged, the battery charging process should stop so I see no difference if the laptop is plugged in or not.
Some laptops will not work without a proper battery installed.
I keep mine plugged in.

Perhaps your particular model of laptop just does a lousy job of battery management. It probably varies from maker to maker and even model to model. As I said, I have 7% battery wear on a now 16 month old laptop. It is still my contention that if someone leaves their laptop plugged in 24/7 for 16 months and only ends up with 7% battery wear after that 16 months, it really is nothing to worry about.

Ahh, that explains it then. These efficient/good battery management programs (or whatever they'd be referred to) seem to be a relatively new development, and appear to have become widespread only in the last 2 or 3 years. While still not perfect, they are a huge improvement over the "old days". :D

Steve McGrossi

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Exactly! The battery management cannot only be in software programs. But there could be a circuit that does the job as well. Just like in tablets and smartphone. They're all in common since they all use lithium batteries.