How much space should Marshmallow take up?

sparky0138

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I've just bought a new phone. It's a Fusion5 GenIII running Marshmallow. After installing all my apps, I checked the internal storage under settings and found that it was using 22.12GB out of 32GB even though I'd only installed 1.69GB of apps.

I contacted the seller/manufacturer and they told me to do a factory reset and check the storage again. I did that and the storage then showed as using 25.12GB which is even higher than before with no apps installed by me. When I updated them they said, "The phone has 32GB total storage. Some of this space is allotted for android OS among others inbuilt apps."

I understand that the OS and inbuilt apps will take up space but surely not 25GB? I've now installed an app called Storage Space and it says Android is using 3.61GB and that there is 25.10GB free for apps and files, which sounds about right to me, but why, then, does it not match the phone's calculations? If that is the true figure (on the app) then I'm worried the phone will soon say it's out of space when in reality it is nowhere near.

Do you think I'm being fobbed off or does 25GB for the OS and inbuilt apps sound realistic? And if it is, why is the app telling me different?

sparky0138

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
They've now asked me to do another factory reset. If they truly believed it was the OS taking up that much space, why would they ask me to do it again? They also linked me to the following site, which doesn't really make sense because the person asking the question is complaining they only have 23GB of space left whereas for me it's 23GB that's been used.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-32GB-internal-memory-mobile-phone-only-get-23GB-for-user-use-What-about-remaining-9GB-And-for-16GB-only-12Gb-usable-for-user

Seriously thinking about sending it back which is a shame because apart from the space issue it's a nice little phone.

sparky0138

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I've decided to send it back. They've stopped responding to my messages now. Not good. :(