News How my Apple Watch proved the ultimate travel necessity when I spent a week halfway around the world

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Is the Apple Watch the ultimate travel companion? Here's what happened when I wore it for a week in Tokyo, Japan.

How my Apple Watch proved the ultimate travel necessity when I spent a week halfway around the world : Read more
It has some great features to be sure. But I noticed that many of the things you needed to know could have been supplied by the people around you that live there. And yes, many speak basic English in Japan. You would have met many, many more local people this way. One of the best ways of meeting people and getting to know a little about their culture is to be "always lost" so you HAVE to ask. Electronic devices allow us to retreat into our own private world which may seem empowering but just feeds loneliness and isolation. Great if you're a committed incel, not so great if you're mentally balanced. What we should be doing is using electronic devices only when we have to. Plus, Japan has one of the most fascinating and different cultures (compared to the US) on the planet. And it's also very, very advanced. This is something you want to immerse yourself in while there as much as you possibly can. Time is short. Don't waste it shopping, eating and looking at screens. Peer into their minds to understand how they think. It's a very different world over there. You may learn something. And there's few places on the planet better for that than Japan.