How Nintendo's Wii U Blew It with Online Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumanShield

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Wow this is puerile trash. Bethesda do not produce online games. None of their titles utilise online play (Fallout/Elderscrolls/Wolfenstein/Dishonored). Also Bethesda have proven themselves incapable of producing working ports of games, hence why they are staying away from the Wii-U. If they simply admitted that the customer base is the wrong target demographic and simply not strong enough to consider producing games then it would be understandable. Trying to pass the blame onto the hardware is not.
Even suggesting DLC and hard drive capacity as a reason is ridiculous. Bethesda have always been known for their "Game of the year" edition discs with all DLC bundled. It would not be difficult to produce a game for other consoles, then 18 months later release a decent working port of the game of the year edition for Wii-U.
**Note** I love Bethesda and their games but reports of third party publishers disowning the Wii-U without even trying to produce any games and giving poor excuses just annoys me. They should just admit they over-spend on production and can't afford to take risks anymore.

kinekon

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Although MMORPG's tend to take a lot of HDD space, stating that they couldn't fit on a disc is preposterous. Wii U discs have a max capacity of 28 GB. that is more than three times that of blu-ray, and almost 5x that of DVD. I may be incorrect, but as far as I can remember, none of the many large scale MMOs I have played have come anywhere close to 28 gig. Most console games are under or around 8 GB but the WiiU version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 broke console gaming records with its 16 GB install. WiiU HDD is rather small in comparison to the more expensive alternatives but it is by no means incapable of running or installing MMORPGs...just look to Dragon Quest X if you need further convincing. I agree with HumanShield. This is just Bethesda not having the resources to work out all of the kinks from their buggy ass games across all consoles. Did everyone already forget how bad the frame rates got in oblivion, the freeze ups in morrowind, or the mass DLC bugs for Ps3 Skyrim? I'd give up trying new tech too.

Dcj91x

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
This article is a joke. Bethesda has made how made how many games on Nintendo systems EVER? 5 maybe 6? An they state sales as the reason why, if that were the truth then why no games on the 3DS which is the best salting game system in the world right now? No, I think it's just an excuse. The WiiU is a great system just like the low selling Vita that's in the same boat. Both systems need games nothing more or less.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Half the article is spotty online play and that refers to the previous one while praising the U? As for the space problem it is well know that the console is readily expandable with an external drive and SD card, granted not great solutions but not as limited as is made out to be.

Literally a half baked article.

rdh252

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
FIRST: Bethesda hasn't developed a game for a Nintendo home console in 22 years. They've only ever published around 4 games that ended up on any of Nintendo's home systems. Two of them were on the original NES.

Chances are Bethesda were never going to put any major games on the Wii U regardless of its hardware or sales.

Their lack of support is not a blow to the system. If they gained support it'd have been a boon for the system. But Wii U not getting something it was never going to get to begin with is no loss. You can't lose something you never had.

SECOND: The end of your article points out that online play for the Wii U currently works just fine as evidenced by Assassin's Creed 3, I can personally attest that Mass Effect 3 plays comparably as well. There is already an MMO on the game on it, although it is currently exclusive to Japan. You even say its online comparable to PS3 and Xbox 360's online play. Xbox 360 has been, to date, the crown jewel of online gaming with home consoles. If Nintendo's Wii U can do it just as well, how have they blown it exactly?

THIRD: There are already more games coming out on the Wii U that will support online play. Call of Duty: Ghosts, Mario Kart 8, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, etc. It's online community will undoubtably continue to grow, chances are so will the features.

FOURTH: What does the history of Nintendo's past consoles failures with online have to do with Wii U's current online affairs? Pointing out where they went wrong before does not help to illustrate how the "blew it" now.

What is even the point of this article outside of attacking the Wii U on fallacious arguments?

Dcj91x

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
This article is a joke. Bethesda has made how made how many games on Nintendo systems EVER? 5 maybe 6? An they state sales as the reason why, if that were the truth then why no games on the 3DS which is the best salting game system in the world right now? No, I think it's just an excuse. The WiiU is a great system just like the low selling Vita that's in the same boat. Both systems need games nothing more or less.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
im sorry but in no way 28gb is three times the capacity of blueray its half of dual layer 56 or 54 wich ever was it disc get your facts straigth and it is not 5 times more than a dual layer dvd which is 8.4

HumanShield

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
cemerian - Thanks for your input, it provided absolutely zero value. Elderscrolls online is still in beta testing so the point still stands, Bethesda do not have a history of releasing online-compatible games. Many titles make it to full open beta and still fail to launch.
Equally misquoting disc capacity is not exactly a crime. The original point regarding the size of the game in question is still relevant though. Your pedantry is almost as pathetic as your spelling. Take your trolling elsewhere and don't comment unless you have an opinion that is actually relevant to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.